Washing eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Terry71, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Terry71

Terry71 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    Whitby, Ontario Canada
    Hello there. I was wondering when you wash an egg. Do you do it as soon as you get it from the chicken, or when you are ready to eat them?

Thanks,

Terry

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] I don't wash mine at all unless there is poop on them. NOT washing them leaves the bloom on which keeps bacteria out. so NOT washing them is best.

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Same with us, I only wash them if they are muddy or poopy or if a buyer requests I wash them.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wash those I sell, my customers insist. I don't wash the ones we keep for ourselves until I'm ready to use them.
    To wash I use the hottest water I can stand to have my hands in and just give the egg a good rubbing between my hands while the water is running over it.
    I've grown to love the half sheet paper towels. If I have six eggs to wash, I pull off six half sheets and after washing dry each egg with its own sheet. Then refrigerate.

5. whatthecluck

whatthecluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    I thought you weren't supposed to wash? I understood to just wipe them off? I just made 4 bamboo-terry cloth towels to use when we get eggs....4 of my pullets should be any day now! I was just planning on wiping them off and washing my cloths when I wash my cloth diapers (cold, then sanitize hot).
    ??????

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I wash mine as soon as I bring them in the house.

If you do a search on here for "wash" and perhaps even me as an "Author", you will find many other discussions on the same topic.

God Bless,

7. Terry71

Terry71 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    Whitby, Ontario Canada
    Thanks for the replies. What does washing them do right away? Negative or positive?

8. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    Every time. Mom and Dad make me do it, I would prefer to leave the bloom on, and wash only the ones that are dirty.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Washing removes the bloom, a coating if you will, that the hen applies to the egg when she lays it. The bloom seals the eggshell so dirt and germs can't get inside. With the bloom on eggs can last a very long time.
    As I already stated, I only wash my customer's eggs because they insist upon it. Ours I don't.

10. packinaglock

packinaglock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    What do the comercial egg company's do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by