Washing eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spencereb, Feb 23, 2008.

1. spencereb

spencereb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    Tennessee
    I remember having read, at some point in the past, about the do's & don'ts of washing eggs. In general, I think we are not supposed to wash them at all, because momma hen leaves a natural bacteria barrier covering the egg.

However, with all the recent wet weather, most of our eggs are getting muddy before we have a chance to gather. So, what do we do here? Seems like I remember it is ok to rinse them off in cold water, not warm, or is it the other way around?

Any suggestions?
    -Spence

2. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    you are better to dry wipe them. try and stay away from liquid washing

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

IF you must use liquid, let water warmer than the egg run over the soiled area, then gently wipe with a clean paper towel.

4. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I had a book that said if you need to wash them then do so gently without harsh detergents and then coat ightly with cooking oil.
    That will replace the protective shield that is around it naturally.

[​IMG]

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens just started laying, I've gotten 7 so far in 4 days...one was a bit blood streaked so I dampened a cloth and gently wiped it off. That worked just fine...oh and I checked all the bottoms and didn't find any problems!

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I don't wash mine. I also don't refrigerate the eggs I use for my family but that is another topic. LOL

For soiled eggs I first wipe them off with a plain dry cloth. If that doesn't work for really messy eggs I use a warm damp cloth and just spot clean.

If you have to wash the egg to get it clean I would refrigerate after it has dried and use that egg first when in need of eggs just so it is not hanging around very long without its bloom.

edited to add that the water should be warmer then the egg - big typo there, sorry

7. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    HI If it is just mud I have been using a tooth brush. when the mud is dry it just brushes right off.

8. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    I don't wash mine either. If they are really poopy then I cook those eggs for the chickens for a treat and while I'm out feeding them I clean the nest boxes, lol.
    For eggs I sell/give away, I choose the cleanest and wipe with a damp cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by