washing eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Turkeyrun, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Turkeyrun

Turkeyrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Our new flock of 15 is kicking into egg laying gear. Now that we will more than enough eggs I want to give them to friends and sell some of them. I know it is best not to wash the eggs, but if I will be providing others withe eggs I am feeling that they should be washed.

Do you wash eggs before selling or giving them away?
    How do you wash them?
    What soap or cleaner do you use?

Thank you
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I wash mine. The only ones I don't wash are the ones going in the incubator.

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:I feel the same way, but I don't necessarily wash all of them. Most of the time I do run hot water over all of them and wipe them clean and dry with a terry rag. I generally prefer to do it that way, but if I am short on time I just package up the already clean ones and wipe down any dirty ones with a hot, wet rag.

4. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    I don't touch mine until I eat them.
    I've always heard fresh eggs will last longer that way, but that's just what been told.

5. gardeningsis

gardeningsis Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG]I just use a damp paper towel and wipe anything off that I see.

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:Me too

7. Martin Grove Farm

Martin Grove Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I hold mine under a slight stream of water that is slightly warmer than the eggs I'm washing. The real dirty ones get a quick wipe with a worn green kitchen scouring pad.
    I do not wash eggs that are going into the incubator. If they are really dirty, I will scrub a bit with that same type of scratchy pad, only dry.

8. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I wash the dirty ones with a damp cloth seems to work well. Give a way some, sell some no one complains.

9. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    As you see, opinions vary. There is indeed a bloom that you will wash off if you choose to wash, so many on here who do wash them wait until they are going to use them, at least for non-poopy eggs. Commerical operations are required to wash eggs. Since you plan to sell or give them away, perhaps you should make a choice and let your customers know what it is. Also, if you do wash, the water should be warmer than the egg is, so bacteria will be encouraged to move out of the egg rather than into it.

I never wash any but the occasional poopy egg. I give some away, and they are aware of this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by