1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Washing eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tkjjas, Feb 16, 2011.

1. tkjjas

tkjjas Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    I was going to ask this on the "How picky are you about eggs" thread, but decided to just start a new one. This is probably a topic that's been covered a hundred times, so please humor this newby!

Should backyard eggs be washed and, if so, how?

I've heard that there is a protective layer underneath the shell that is destroyed if made wet. And, yet, many chicken owners apparently wash their eggs in water. To me, that seems like the egg will then look clean, but there is no way to no if it really is.

Our eggs don't get really dirty, but when they do, I brush off any excess mud/poop, store the eggs in the fridge, and then wash immediately before use if there is still quite a bit of mud/poop on shell.

I'd love to hear some input on this.
    Thanks!
    -Kay

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    Actually the coating, called the bloom, is on the outside of the shell. If you grab hold of an egg the instant its been laid you'll discover its sticky, that's the bloom before it dries.

I don't wash eggs until just before use. I tell my customers to do the same. I keep my nestboxes very clean, change the hay in them at least weekly. Any minor specks of dirt on the eggs I scrub off with a rough paper towel. The rare really dirty egg gets set aside for the dogs.

Unwashed eggs can last for ages. I tried pulling up a link to the website for Mother Earth News for you, but apparently their site is having problems. They did a study on the storability of unwashed vs. washed eggs. You might try looking it up later by going to www.motherearthnews.com and searching for "storing eggs".

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  3. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    You are doing the right thing. The only time I wash (rinse with water) eggs is when I am going to sell them. It has been my experience that anyone not familar with chickens is freaked out by the thought of "dirty" eggs even if they are clean [​IMG]

The eggs that I am going to keep for myself I dont wash. They keep longer especially if you put them in the fridge. Keep up the good work [​IMG]

4. tkjjas

Jun 23, 2010
    Quote:Oh! Eggs have so many membranes under the shell, I just assumed one of them was the protective coating. Thanks for the info. And thanks for the link, I'll try that later.

5. tkjjas

Jun 23, 2010
    Quote:Thanks!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by