Washing eggs??????

Lakesidecochins

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 27, 2011
Bozrah ct
So I been doing some reading on washing hatching eggs.
Seems there are different ideas on this some people say it
Ruins the bloom but some say it's very important to wash them to
Keep bacteria out and some washes have a protective coating that replaces
The bloom after washing. Any suggestions on a
good wash? And what is the best process?

I had a 90% hatch.
I got a fairly moist paper towel and wiped off the poo stains, and gently washed the whole egg.
thumbsup.gif

Good luck!

Last edited:
Quote:
Are they for hatching or eating?

Well, I guess if I were paying attention I would notice you posted this in the "Incubating & Hatching Eggs" section.
hide.gif

I don't wash my eggs either. I select the clean eggs but have used slightly soiled eggs too. The bloom is the first defense to stop bacteria. Internally the eggs has a unique method of stopping bacteria that is in the albumen. Obviously not a perfect system but still IMO pretty impressive. I also think that the big facilities have huge money riding on the hatches and put 100,000 plus eggs in the incubators for hatching; Good reason to sanitize the hatching eggs.

Since I'm not a big hatchery, I pick the cleanest eggs and have needed to spot clean before setting. Still working on perfecting my hatching rate though.
wink.png

I have never washed my eggs in the past, because mine didn't get too dirty. the eggs in the bator right now are on day 14 as tonight and I washed them.. I actually soaked them in the sink with dawn in hot water, but not soo hot I couldn't stand to wash them.. then rinsed them and blew them dry with a hairdryer.. i started out with 49 eggs. 2 were cracked, so put me down to 47. i candled on day 7 and separated the ones that appeared to not be growing then i candled again on day 10 & took them out.. there were a few that were porous but i have 29 that are growing strong and I have high hopes for them!! the others appeared to not even be fertilized.. so I am thinking that if all these peeps do hatch then it can't hurt them.. better than growing bacteria and germs in the bator and risking the good eggs.. I think it is personal preference! Did i mention that from the eggs I am hatching there were 75 hens and only 3 roosters!! So i am ok with only having 29 developing eggs! Good luck and if I were you judt do a test hatch on you own eggs and see what happens. hatcheries do it all the time!

Back
Top Bottom