Washing eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vh458, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Vh458

Vh458 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    When my chickens lay their eggs are we suppose to wash them? I have heard you are, but the water has to be warm, is that true?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wash my eggs when I get ready to use them, not when they are first laid and being stored.
    Washing eggs removes the bloom, a natural "coating" of sorts that the hen puts on her eggs to seal out bacteria and other germs.
    When you get ready to use them just be sure to use water that is at least 20° F warmer than the eggs itself.

1 person likes this.
  3. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    I only wash my eggs before use.

1 person likes this.
  4. FryeFarm

FryeFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I have a soft dry cloth and wipe them down lightly. Before I use them I'll give them a little rinse in warm water, I read somewhere on here that if you rinse in warm or really hot water that the yolk and white expand pushing any bacteria out. Sounds about right but who knows?

1 person likes this.
  5. hollys chooks

hollys chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

I only wash eggs that have visible dirt or poop on them. Bacteria mostly grows in a moist environment, the outside of an egg shell is dry, so why wash it?

6. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I quickly rinse my eggs under warm (NOT HOT) water, and then wipe them off with a wet paper towel (warm water also). Then I blot them dry with another paper towel, and then set them aside for a little while. Afterward, I put them in the refrigerator.

7. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I wash and refrigerate only the dirty eggs in warm-not hot water. We have a wire egg basket I bought at Rural King. It sits on my counter and I put the clean unwashed eggs in it. I use the eggs through the week & what (if any) I don't use, I put in the frig on Sunday. This way the eggs only sit out for a week. [​IMG] Also, I read somewhere that if you sell the eggs, they should not be washed. I give my extras away & ask for "donations"! Hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by