Washing eggs

Vh458

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 25, 2014
When my chickens lay their eggs are we suppose to wash them? I have heard you are, but the water has to be warm, is that true?

I wash my eggs when I get ready to use them, not when they are first laid and being stored.
Washing eggs removes the bloom, a natural "coating" of sorts that the hen puts on her eggs to seal out bacteria and other germs.
When you get ready to use them just be sure to use water that is at least 20° F warmer than the eggs itself.

I have a soft dry cloth and wipe them down lightly. Before I use them I'll give them a little rinse in warm water, I read somewhere on here that if you rinse in warm or really hot water that the yolk and white expand pushing any bacteria out. Sounds about right but who knows?

I quickly rinse my eggs under warm (NOT HOT) water, and then wipe them off with a wet paper towel (warm water also). Then I blot them dry with another paper towel, and then set them aside for a little while. Afterward, I put them in the refrigerator.

I wash and refrigerate only the dirty eggs in warm-not hot water. We have a wire egg basket I bought at Rural King. It sits on my counter and I put the clean unwashed eggs in it. I use the eggs through the week & what (if any) I don't use, I put in the frig on Sunday. This way the eggs only sit out for a week.
smile.png
Also, I read somewhere that if you sell the eggs, they should not be washed. I give my extras away & ask for "donations"! Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom