Washing goose eggs... Yes AGAIN!!!

JordanFamily

Crowing
16 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Archie, MO
OK I'm sure this has been on here a million times but I was wondering how everyone else washes their eggs and specifically what you use to wash them? Warm water, warm water and dawn dish soap, Brinsea sanitizer, other egg cleaner, home made brew??? or maybe you just wipe the dried mud off with a warm wet cloth, Well how do you wash yours??? Also, do you wash them before you store them or just before you put them ib the incubator? Do you think your method has helped your hatch rate???
caf.gif

Last edited:
We use warm water and a fuller brush hand brush, soft bristles on one side & alittle stiffer ones on the other. I don't think dried crusty eggs should go in the fridge or be cracked without being rinsed off. We dry them and put them in cartons in the fridge or use right away...no complaints from our freinds and family we give them too...don't think they'd like them as much with the chicken dirt on them.

I don't wash my eggs. I take a piece of sandpaper and lightly sand them. I don't want to wash the bloom off of them so I'd rather not wash them. We really really try hard to keep our nesting houses very very clean with fresh pine shavings during breeding season. I can take pics of our houses tomorrow and show you. Most of the time the eggs are clean but usually the first eggs are really dirty because we didn't realize they were going to start laying.

Laurie

Quote:
Also note that for waterfowl cleaned eggs should not be mixed in the incubator with uncleaned eggs. the removal of the 'bloom" changes the moisture transfer through the shell and they need different humidity conditions. Get the advise from an incubator user, I let my geese and ducks hatch there own and dirty shells don't seem to be a problem for them.

Yeah but is this to dirty to put in the incubator with clean eggs and if so how would you clean them??? I got them from a friend and since these are the first of the season the girls laid them in the mud...
barnie.gif
The mud is dried on and has been on them for 4 days now!!!
6221_000_0210_small.jpg

I agree with goosedragon that you shouldn't put clean and dirty eggs in together. I have 3 incubators. Clean eggs go into one, dirty eggs go into another. The third is for chicken eggs. I think I would clean those Kristina and take my chances. I definitely wouldn't incubate those.

I also have to admit that my geese did a better job of incubating this year than I did. Other than 2 eggs, every other egg under them, hatched so far. I'm batting about 40% this year.

Laurie

Quote:
Thanks Laurie, Just so you know the eggs I sent you are clean, from my own birds... These are from my friend's flock and hers laid them in the mud...
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom