Washing hatching Eggs? To Wash or Not ot wash????????

BuffyGRL

Songster
9 Years
May 19, 2010
North Carolina Foothills
Ok I have hearD people do wash their eggs before incubating but I have a few questions PLEASE
lol.png

1 -does it affect hatchability?

2- How do you properly wash them without removing the bloom from the egg?

3 -WOULD YOU RECOMMEND WASHING IF YOU HAVE JUST SLIGHTLY DIRTY EGGS???

I HAVE READ A FEW OF THESE QUESTION SECTIONS BEFORE BUT NEVER REALLY GOT A CLEAR ANSWER FOR MYSELF

THANKS VERY MUCH!!

Good luck on getting an answer. I have read several post asking the same question and the opinions vary to the point that you are more confused than you were before you posted your question...Best wishes.

This is my first setting. I lightly wiped some with nasty smears and they went into the incubator. Crusty eggs got thoroughly washed and eaten. Clean ones went into the incubator as-is. Since people hatch ones that have been washed and not, and lose batches that have been washed and not, I'm guessing that it doesn't really matter. Find happy medium? Don't soak or scrub them in soap and water and don't incubate nasty crusty eggs. That's what I'm trying anyway! Good luck!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Unless the eggs are seriously dirty, I don't wash my hatching eggs. I have received shipped eggs with lots of poo on them and yes I will rinse off the poo then.

1 -does it affect hatchability?
It's a possibility

2- How do you properly wash them without removing the bloom from the egg?
Avoid water, & any liquid cleaner.

3 -WOULD YOU RECOMMEND WASHING IF YOU HAVE JUST SLIGHTLY DIRTY EGGS???
No, If they are just slightly dirty, there is no need for washing.

Washing washes off the eggs protective coating, making it super easy for bacteria/disease

to enter the eggs, PLUS the washing/rubbing tends to actually push bacteria through the pores.

Overall, I recommend STAYING AWAY from dirty eggs for incubation. Keep nest boxes clean.

Slightly dirty eggs are ok, but severly dirty eggs should be avoided. Many people may disagree

with washing, many say hot water is ok, but I say avoid washing completely. It's just the way I am.

Last edited:
I've heard both work , but so far I'm not ...........but then that would lead to a question , people say that they have hatched eggs from Walmart , grocery stores ? wouldn't they have been washed with a anti bacterial soap ??

Back
Top Bottom