Washing machine repair advice, Please****************

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by willkatdawson, Sep 28, 2010.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    OK I know this is totally random, but I'm having trouble with my washing machine. So many of you here on the forum are knowledgeable in many areas, so I thought I might I might give it a try. I have a roper RAS7133PQO. It fills up with water, then nothing. I've used my meter to check the timer switch and the lid switch and both are working correctly. Even if I advance the dial manually to rinse, spin, drain ect.. nothing happens. Any idea? I would love to be able to purchase a part and fix it myself if at all possible.
    Thanks For your help!!!

2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Not sure what a Roper washing machine is is ....I am not mechanically incline also ....but ...... if its a front loader washer I suggest to open the bottom front panel and checking to see if it has something that catches all the hair and guck.....I say this because I know when our machine goes off balance or does not rinse etc and all the lights are a flashin dear dear hubby takes off the panel and cleans out the trap ...good luck

3. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Sorry I should have mentioned Roper is made by Whirlpool and it a plain old top load washer. Very basic, none of the bells and whistles. I bought such a plain washer because I figured less to break. [​IMG]

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Try calling customer service for Whirlpool, and/or do an online search for them. Sometimes you can find someone who will talk you through and help you trouble-shoot the problem, and then you can order the parts you need. Or find a website that will do the same thing. I hope for your sake that these kinds of services still exist.
    [​IMG] My frustration is that so many things are being made today that cannot be repaired. Things are designed to be replaced when they stop working. They're considered obsolete after just a few years, parts are no longer available, or the broken part you need replaced can only be bought included in a larger component. Or they can only be bought to be installed by a "trained repairperson", no doubt in order for the company to avoid potential lawsuits from knuckleheads who would have injured themselves doing it themselves.
    [​IMG] It just adds to the insanity of life, and unnecessarily to the landfills. Do you think we will ever see things go back to the way they used to be, when you could take small appliances to "fix-it shops" and have a service call from a repairperson cost less than a new appliance?

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Yes, I have a Roper washer too, in the past I have repaired a old whirlpool washer and kept it going for 30 years. The old washers had belts and pulleys along with mechanical switches making repair obvious and easy. When my Roper quit after about 5 years, it did the same same yours does. I took it apart and apparently its a computer card/electronic problem and not a mechanical one I could find. Since the Roper was the cheapest washer on the market, I just bought another one. NOTE: don't buy a Maytag Neptune, I did believing the hype about cheaper in the long run, it cost 3 times as much as a cheap model and begin failing immediately after warranty expired and cost 4 times the cost of a Roper during the next 5 years of repair/fail/repair/fail. So now I stick with whatever is the simplest and cheapest.

6. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    pulled from the internet

There are two possible causes. The most likely cause is the lid switch, which is supposed to keep you from sticking your hand into the moving basket. On many washers this only keeps the machine from spinning, but on other models it prevents agitating as well. The other possibility is the water level switch, but that usually causes no filling or overfilling if it's bad.

are you sure the lid switch is activating on the inside, and not just pushing down on your end?

I guess its possible the gears in the motor are kaput

7. smileybritches

smileybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
  9. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Found the nicest man to replace the motor for $75.00. That sure beats the $400.00 price tag on the new washer my husband was looking at.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by