Washing my chicken

claireree

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Not sure if this is the right section to post, but will try. Can I bathe my chickens back end at all and if so how and what is best, I have 5 chickens and 2 of them their back ends seem quite messy where as the other 3 are all fine.

How old are they and what breed? I would be more concerned with an intestinal disease, coccidiosis or something of that nature. I've washed pasted up chicks with warm water and a strong paper towel, taking care to not get them too wet and drying them afterwards.

various108.jpg

This is a picture of them its the speckled one and the one with no feathers on her neck, I can take some pictures tom of their back end to see what you think.

This picture is a couple of months old

Yes, you can wash them if you want. I would suggest Dawn dishsoap (the original blue dawn). Use warm water and keep them inside until dry if it's cold where you live.
Sometimes it's not an illness, especially if the chickens are acting fine - eating and drinking. Sometimes they just have a messy poo, like every creature does.

OT- Love your turken. I'm especially fond of turkens.

It's fine to bathe chickens! I bathed one of my hens who got all disgusting and she actually seemed to enjoy it. Just use warm water and a little bit of soap, be gentle and take your time. And make sure they're fully dry before you put them back out! Stick them on a heating pad or under a heat lamp if they're still wet.

Thanks will give it a go tomorrow luckily I live in Spain so it is still quite warm here during the day. Do you think it is better to do it in the bath????

Back
Top Bottom