washing smelly baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sarahloveschickens, Nov 4, 2008.

1. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I just recently cleaned out my coop because it smelled so bad! But when I put all the chicks back in it still smelled.. I relized it was the chicks that were smelling. So, I've been washing them with a light baby shampoo and warm water.. They smell so much better now, but since i have 25 of them I only wash 5 a day. When I'm done washing them I either blow dry them or stick them next to our cozy fire. They seem to like sitting by the fire. Is this ok to be doing to them?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2008
  2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Much healthier to keep the coop cleaner, throw down clean straw or long shredded paper once a week, toss out half of the dirty stuff first.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    How old? Fully feathered adults could probably handle baths ok if kept warm. Younger animals as a general rule should not be washed aside from a warm damp towel to spot clean. They chill easy and it's stressful. Either way I'd try to avoid it in the future. Baths aren't really the healthiest thing for chickens and if you keep their home clean they shouldn't need it. There are also other potential health issues from letting the place get too dirty.

4. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:They are 12 weeks old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by