Washing techniques

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Alethea, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I have been asked to wash our eggs. Would Dr. Bronner's castile soap with orange oil work?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Not familiar with it, but warm water and rubbing with your hand will clean all but the worst ones........Pop

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:Why? by who?

Do they know about the bloom? the protective covering?

My worst ones (covered in poo/dried poop- no clean way to pick up- stupid poor potty habit rooster...) go to my dog the day I pick them up- they others go right into a carton or get rinsed off then tapped dry on a paper towel then in the carton...

4. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    i don't wash mine until i'm ready to eat it. as mentioned the fresh egg has a natural protective bloom on it that keeps it fresher if you don't wash it off. if there is poop on the egg i wash with water and soap - Dr. bronners is great for this. otherwise i wash with warm water only right before i eat it.

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I don't wash eggs unless they are visably dirty. But since I collect the eggs three times a day I rarely get a dirty egg and when I do its minor that I can wipe off with a damp wash cloth or paper towel.

6. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Washing eggs doesn't make much sense to me. The outside of the shell gets cleaner and looks nice, but then the bloom is gone so it's open to infection, and in the washing process soap, microbes and other foreign matter can get into the egg through the shell, which obviously is porous. So an egg that's dirty on the outside because it wasn't washed is perhaps cleaner on the INSIDE than one that was washed... How counterproductive is that! If you absolutely must have pristine-looking eggs, a quick and gentle wipe with a clean, moist cloth or paper towel, like ibeier does, will take care of all but the crustiest, nastiest rejects while preserving the shell's integrity. And remind or educate people every chance you get about the value of un-washed eggs (more pristine, don't need refridgeration, less wasteful of resources). Also, keeping your coop clean and dry and keeping plenty of clean bedding in the nest boxes, as well as collecting eggs at LEAST once a day (if not more, like ibeier), goes a long way toward cleaner eggshells...

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm going to ask the same question Tigeris did...Why? By who?

I called the state when I wanted to start selling at the farmer's market. Even they didn't recommend washing. They suggested sandpaper for any dirty spots, I use rough paper towels instead.

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I don't wash mine, even if they are dirty, until I'm about to eat them. Then I rinse them under warm water and use my hand to scrub them. Most of my eggs are 100% clean but occasionally my messy females poop in the next box and the egg gets a little dirty, which is my fault! I only had one laying, now two, so I imagine as they all start to lay things will stay cleaner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by