Washing vs. not washing eggs- How long will they stay fresh?

chrism

Songster
11 Years
Jan 17, 2009
Zone 7A Central Va.
From the searching that I've done... I realize that this question gets asked a whole lot.
So before my question, just a little background of what I have planned:
I have a flock of about 50 dual breed hens. I'm helping my son get a egg delivery business up and going.
My family will of course use our own eggs but the majority will be sold.
At the moment we do not wash the eggs and only wipe off dirt with a dry cloth. They then get stored in a storage tote and put in our cool crawl space. Even this time of year, I doubt that it gets much below 45° down there.
We wash them in warm water right before cracking the shell.
We plan on giving our customers the choice of receiving washed or unwashed eggs.

So... on to the questions:
How long will UN-washed eggs stay fresh refrigerated?
How long will UN=washed eggs stay fresh UN-refrigerated?

Same questions for WASHED eggs.

I JUST read this article yesterday! Lol talk about timing!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe.aspx

According to the experiment, UNwashed, refrigerated eggs will last about 9 months, about a month longer than unwashed unrefrigerated ones. Washed refrigerated ones lasted about the same as unwashed, unrefrigerated ones, about 8 months.

They did a whole bunch if different methods; wet and dry sand, wet and dry shavings, lard, open air, fridge, and waterglass. (Waterglassing was why I was looking at the article)

I keep mine out in a cool shed, unwashed. I usually don't hoard more than 8 dozen at a time; they sell pretty fast anymore ;)

Last edited:
I would recommend checking with your state agriculture department. They will be able to tell you the legal requirements for selling eggs from a small flock.

In Pennsylvania, there are several requirements that apply to the sale of eggs from small flocks. The eggs have to be sold within 5 days of the date of lay, they have to be kept at a temperatures of 45 degrees or less, and they have to be labeled with very specific information (name of producer, date eggs were laid, grade of eggs, etc.).

Thank you Joy.
smile.png

You advice is wise and sound but;
Because of the condition that the Fed and State governments have put our civil food supply in, I could not care less what they have to say on this matter.
I will follow best food practices for my family and customers without their input.
old.gif

This is NOT directed at your wise advice.

Lol that's so redundant that it begs for clarification...

@song of joy, are you saying that they make differing rules for small flocks than large corporations there? Because they would have to follow guidelines across the board, and there is no way that commercial eggs follow that guide lol; commercial eggs don't even reach shelves in markets for a month after lay ;)

Here in CO, we can sell our little hearts out, as long as its person to person (I cant sell to a store or restaurant without a license); They don't even have to be clean or refrigerated.... Lol my BIL gets the poopy duck eggs; he can wash them at home if he wants, he gets a discount ha-ha ;)

What can I clarify for you?
smile.png

I don't know what I said that was redundant. I thought that I was pretty straight forward about my general disdain for gov. ineptness with our food supply.

shortgrass was referring to song of joy's post, not something you said.

What can I clarify for you? :)

I don't know what I said that was redundant. I thought that I was pretty straight forward about my general disdain for gov. ineptness with our food supply.

I agree with you on how inept and irresponsible the government is, for sure ;)

shortgrass was referring to song of joy's post, not something you said.

Yeah, that. Sorry about the confusion; I was asking song of joy to clarify the laws in her state because I was shocked to see such rediculously strict guidelines..

I guess I could always Google it myself huh? :D

Lol that's so redundant that it begs for clarification...

@song of joy , are you saying that they make differing rules for small flocks than large corporations there? Because they would have to follow guidelines across the board, and there is no way that commercial eggs follow that guide lol; commercial eggs don't even reach shelves in markets for a month after lay
wink.png

Here in CO, we can sell our little hearts out, as long as its person to person (I cant sell to a store or restaurant without a license); They don't even have to be clean or refrigerated.... Lol my BIL gets the poopy duck eggs; he can wash them at home if he wants, he gets a discount ha-ha
wink.png
Yes, I think there are different rules for small flocks vs larger-scale commercial sales. However, I haven't looked into the rules for larger-scale commercial sales. I agree that what you're buying direct from a local farm is probably much fresher. Here's the link for small-scale sales in PA: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta...lications/EGGS From SMALL FLOCK producers.pdf

The rules seem pretty reasonable and straight-forward to me. It's what I'd want to know if I were buying eggs from someone (name, date of eggs) and how I'd want the eggs kept (refrigerated). It certainly doesn't guarantee against fraud . . . like someone intentionally mislabeling and selling you unrefrigerated eggs that are a month old . . . but as a consumer I think it's helpful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom