washing white birds with color & fabric softener???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by aurorarose25, Nov 13, 2011.

1. aurorarose25

aurorarose25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Mesa, Az
    Ok, so I heard some where that if you dilute the fabric softener and wash you birds with it, when they dry out they look fuller and plumpier (is that even a word?) Does this even work?

Also I have light brahmas going to show, if I use the bluing will it do something to the black in their feathers?
    I usually wash them with a dog shampoo for lice, mites, ticks, & their eggs. Its kind of a blue color. Will that work instead of the bluing on a white bird? I have only used this on mottled d'uccles before...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Don't know about chickens but for white show cows( and DH too) we use the blue shampoo for grey-haired folks and it makes the white shine like silver.

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:I use dog shampoo for white dogs, if you are only doing it a few times, it doesn't bother the black so much (but try to avoid those areas). not sure about the fabric softener, it stops static and makes towels extra fluffy. if you use it, please report back to us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by