1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Washing your chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mcjessen, Jul 14, 2011.

1. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I'll be taking my two buff orps and australorp to the fair next month. I'd like to get them used to being washed. What is the most effective method of washing a chicken? What type of soap, if any, do you use?

2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I have had good experience with both baby shampoo and dawn dish soap. Rinsing in vinegar before the final rinse helps too

3. Bnemeth

Bnemeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I use dish soap and wash them either in the kitchen sink or a tub that has a removable shower head - sometimes you'll need to put soap directly on the feathers instead of soapy water (it can roll off if the feathers have a lot of oil). I'm not sure if your chickens will need to get used to being washed, all of mine seem to enjoy it the first time and groom themselves while being washed and blown dry. Blow dry with the feathers, not againsts or they'll get ruffled. Also do the final washing about 3-5 days before showday so they have time to get their natural oils back. Good luck!

4. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Perfect. Thank you both for the input. I feel a little more confident now. [​IMG]

5. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    and after the bath, keep them heavily bedded in clean shavings to keep them as clean as possible.
    I bathe loose feathered birds the day before the show and hard feathered 4-5 days prior as you want oil back on those feathers.
    if there is a really dirty bird, you may need to rebathe a few days later to help remove some staining. white or black dog shampoo for those colored birds.

6. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I wonder how that water-free cat shampoo would work? It's like a mousse that you "bathe" cats and kittens with.

7. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Shampoo always works well for bathing chickens. It makes them look clean and they smell good. Make sure they don't get cold. Whenever I give any of my bantams a bath I make sure it's a hot day even the ones that are house pets.[​IMG]

8. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I prefer Adams Flea and Tick Shampoo, it has a residual effect and re-bath them after the show as you never know what the other birds may have had on them. I know we have brought mites home more than once, we now re-bath them once returned home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by