Washington Newbie w/ Few Qs

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
Hello from SW Washington state! Our family is starting up a small backyard flock of around 6-8 hens and I just had a few quick questions that I didn't think needed their own topics:

1) how do bantam/standard sized mixed flocks usually turn out? I don't want my bantams to be picked on...but they are so freakin' cute!

2) for a starter flock in the end of summer/early fall, what are our options on aquiring hens? is it best to wait and raise chicks or to get a few pullets?

3) our coop will be a henhouse/run set-up like this (a modified version of the Garden Coop plans from this site http://www.thegardencoop.com):
coop.png

henhouse.png
(henhouse dimensions are 6' L x 6' W x 3' H)

how many hens will comfortably fit in this set-up? i feel like 3' is short for a hen house...but the plans call for that and i'm not sure how we would modify it without taking away valuable square footage in the run. also there will be additional roosts mounted in the run and do they really need much vertical space where they sleep/lay eggs? we're looking into breeds such as Orpingtons, RIRs, Barred Rocks, Black Sex-Links, and maybe an Ameraucana

Thanks! I'm looking forward to cruising this site and learning more about raising chickens
big_smile.png

Edit: the mesh is 1/2"...not 12"...LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom