1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Washington Party will be held in Kirkland WA February 28th '10

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by justbugged, Dec 13, 2009.

1. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Former "Places we have called in Washington thread"

We have been able to confirm that the party will be held in Kirkland WA. It will be held on February 28th. The party will begin at 1:00pm for most of everyone. If you arrive very early you will be put to work helping with set-up. I am a very strong pack leader, and I really can intimidate and control all of the dogs living at my house. So I will put you to work! Please come though. We will have a lot of fun meeting each other. Beside now you have to want to meet me.

If you can bring a dish please go to the "Potluck Sign-up for the Washington Party" thread. Please Please! Read the first three or so posts. All the rest of the planning will be done on that thread. We will continue to work with everyone. If you need a place to stay in Western Washington, PM me and I will see what I can do.

The party will last until 5:00pm. We only have the building until then. Once again if you hang around, I will put you to work cleaning up. I really hope that this party goes really well so that we can continue to plan other events in the future.

This is a thread to keep track of places we on the Washington thread have called for a party. We are looking for an affordable place to meet for a potluck this February.

So here are the places that have been called:

1 Dumas Bay Center Federal Way WA 1075.00 for 6 hours

2 Enumclaw Senior Center 20.00 per hour for up to 6hrs or 8hrs for 125.00 There is a extra 50.00 kitchen, table and chairs. It's also required to have a liability insurance policy. That is a unknown cost. The center is located in downtown Enumclaw WA. I also checked other locations controlled by the City of Enumclaw and nothing else was in the affordable rage. I still could check into other facilities in the Buckley WA area.

3 Garden City Grange in Snohomish is available on that day from 12:30 till 6:30pm for $150.00 with a $150.00 deposit. We could rent the second floor too for another $150.00. The guy said they had a group of about 200 people coming and going all day. On one floor. I'm waiting on TWO call backs, and Kim is waiting on two (courtesy of RonB)

4 I got a call back from a place in Kirkland for $45 per hour. We can have it from 12:30-5:30 on the 28th. You can figure 1/2 hour set up and 1/2 hour clean up. 4 hours for the party for $225. I have been there, and it's a really cute hall and not very far off of I405. Very easy to get to. We could also move the party to the 21st and have it from 12-6 to add more time for $270. (courtesy of Kim Hunter)

5 http://www.metroparkstacoma.org/files/library/f466b99ccb568a4b.pdf Metro Parks Tacoma. Average price for any of the facilities is about 250.00 per hour.

6 I just contacted Doug McCormick at 253-841-5447 or [email protected]. at the Puyallup Activities Center. They are available on both of the dates in February. Rental on Sunday is $45 per hour and with that you get an attendant who sets up the chairs and tables in advance, and the use of the kitchen. It accommodates 100 for sit down dinner or 300 in lecture seating (rows of chairs) (courtesy of weaveagarden)

7 The Riverside Grange in Puyallup WA Holds up to 90. Kitchen is unknown. The cost is 250.00 for after 1:00pm on that Sunday.

8 Rockin' Horse Dance Barn. I have a call in to this place. It is located about 3 miles east of I-405 in the Renton Highlands.

9 Renton Technical College I have a call in to the place.

10 Miller community center and South Park Community Center

I won't go into all the fees that make up the final Cost. They are ONLY open from noon to 5:00pm and NO Kitchen ( kitchen would be $40 per hour more.)

Final cost would be $340.00 for each place. We would have to be cleaned up and out by 5:00pm or its $40.00 more per hour

We can use microwaves to heat our food. If there is some source of running water we should be OK without a kitchen I think

11 Spirit Of Washington Event Center no potluck events allowed

12 The Steele Lake Grange, Federal Way WA, called back today. The cost is 200.00 with a 200.00 deposit. The grange has a kitchen, tables, and chairs. It holds up to 76 people.

13 The VFW hall in Enumclaw 500.00 for non members and 250.00 for members. With a deposit of 200.00 or 100.00 for members. It holds 200 people, and has a kitchen, tables and chairs.

I have calls into the Edgewood Grange, and the Waller Rd Grange in Puyallup area, and the Green River CC campus in Enumclaw.

Votes for location

North Maltby, Snohomish, Woodinville areas: 3 Votes at this time

South Tacoma, Federal Way, Enumclaw, Kent, Auburn areas: 6 Votes at this time

Anywhere: 4 votes at this time

Updated 4:45pm 12/15/2009

Central Seattle, Renton, Tukwila, Kenmore, and Bellevue areas: 2 locations contacted. Waiting on price.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. Paraclete 2

Paraclete 2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2009
    I'm fairly new here, but not to washington. Who all is the potluck for? and what are the limitations as to the location. I ask cause as vice president of the Ferndale Senior center I can rent the hall for all day @$65.00 and the capacity is around two hundred persons. Pm me if you want to talk. Good luck.

3. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Thank you for the offer to the group from the Social Forums "Where am I? Where are you!" Washington group. We are planning a potluck for February 28th. I think that the group is hoping to meet fairly central in Western Washington. But an offer like yours is definitely worth discussing as a group. You are most welcome to join us on the Washington thread. It is a very active conversation, with a broad group of people. We are now looking forward to meeting each other. I know that there must be a lot of others from Washington that don't know about the very active thread that seems to be helping chicken keepers from around the State. If we get a nice place to meet we should be able to have fairly open invitations to anyone living in the state to come to the potluck. I will post your offer on the Washington thread.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I moved this thread here so there would be a thread dedicated to the Washington Chickenstock in February. [​IMG]

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Excellent idea, justbugged and terrie. The washington thread has become extremely hard to keep up with lately!

Paraclete 2, is there a kitchen at the senior center?

justbugged, can you keep your first post in this thread updated with who we have called? Maybe alphabetically?

6. rainplace

Anyone from Washington not yet in the Washington thread, you should come check it out. It's fairly active and filled with a lot of great Washingtonians from all over the state. You can find it here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=461&p=1 Don't try to read from the beginning or you will be at your screen for life [​IMG] Maybe read the last couple of pages and jump in and introduce yourself.

7. rainplace

Quote:Chicken/DUCKstock... sheesh...

8. weaveagarden

weaveagarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Hoquiam, Wa
    Is that what a ChickenStock is? A potluck party? I thought it was a place to buy and sell chickens or a show or something. Well. I am glad I finally figured it out. I have always wanted to go to a Chicken Stock..... At least for the last half a year or so since I heard of them.

9. weaveagarden

weaveagarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Hoquiam, Wa
    I love the idea of the $65. But I wonder if that will make it more impossible for people from the east side, and from the south to attend at all. Maybe it would be a good idea to keep it somewhere within 30-50 miles or so of the I-5 / I-90 junction.

10. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    ChickenStock meets Woodstock. [​IMG] Maybe we need a couple of live chicken bands too. [​IMG] I will try to keep this organized. But don't anyone hold their breath. I am a bit disorganized. (A major understatement)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by