Washington Potluck Sign-up for the Washington Party

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by justbugged, Dec 18, 2009.

1. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    This thread is for food sign-up for the planned potluck that is going to be held in Kirkland Washington. By signing-up for a dish or two, we will better able to make sure that we will have a fairly well balanced meal, for when we meet together in February 2010. Maybe those people that are coming from a long distance could be allowed to pick things that don't require a lot of refrigeration, or the needs to be kept hot for a long time. KMHunter has posted the following about the facility that is being rented. "This place in Kirkland has a kitchen, but no stove, Ron and I have microwaves we can bring to warm up things and I have a warming plate we can use too to keep some things hot. I think if everyone brings some of their own paper plates and cutlery we could keep this pretty low key and easy".

We also will need to remember to bring a serving spoon for each dish we bring to the potluck. Everyone should mark the dish that they bring so that we can make sure that everyone gets their dishes back. Also please mark the serving spoon. I have found that masking tape with your name on it, works well to mark dishes with.

I will do my best to re-post everyone's menu items here in this top post. I will do my best keep things in categories. This should make things easier to know whether or not we will have fairly even varieties of menu items. This way we won't end up with only just deserts, or just appetizers. We also want make sure too that we have enough drinks. We need to include in the beverages things like soda pop, bottled water, and other types of non-alcoholic beverages. I have one large ice chest that can be used with some ice to keep drinks chilled. We will not have a banquet permit, or any insurance to be able to have any alcohol of any type on the premises. I have one coffee urn that I can bring, but I think that we might want another one to be able to heat plain water in, this way we could also have tea, hot chocolate, and maybe even some hot cider.

We also need to PM KMHunter, and find out how to send her some money as soon as each one of us can afford to do so. KMHunter is renting the facilities for us later today. (12/18/2009) So she will have committed herself to the cost of the facilities. The hall estimated to cost us 225.00 dollars. At this time I estimate that there have been roughly about 25 to 30 people that have said they are planning on coming. If we donate about 10.00 per person we will more than cover all of the costs at this time. Please let us make sure that KMHunter doesn't get stuck with more than her share of the any of the costs for renting us this hall to meet in. If there are extra monies maybe we can use it to supply the plates, silverware, cups and napkins to the party so we don't all have to bring our own. Or we could donate it to a local food bank.

At this time the potluck is scheduled for 12:30-5:30 on the 28th of February 2010. We need to figure 1/2 hour set up and 1/2 hour clean up, leaving us 4 hours for the party. Most of us should not plan on arriving much before 1:00pm, or you will have to be put to work helping with the set-up. [​IMG] We probably need to plan on eating no later than 2:00pm, so that we will have enough time for everyone to finish eating, and of course to be able to east some great desert items before we have to leave. If anyone stays after 5:00pm, once again please count on being put to work cleaning up the facility. [​IMG] The hall has been described as being very cute, and it is also not very far off of I405. It is very easy to get to. I will post the address as soon as I get it.

Let all of us try to keep the posts to this thread, as on topic as we can. It can be very difficult to reread all the posts over and over again, trying to make sure that nothing is being missed, that will be really important to the planning. If there are questions, please feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer, or refer you to someone that can answer the question for you. New ones that are living in Washington State are encouraged join us, we all would like to meet as many chicken fanciers as we can.

I know that this is a lot to ask of everyone, but all of this should guarantee that we will have a very successful potluck party the February, that everyone will enjoy. And we will all be able to meet one another finally! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    This post will be used to update the Menu Categories. Thank you in advance for everyone generosity.

Nyrial is on for: I would bring Sweet and Sour meatballs. And maybe a veggie tray if she can come. Nyrial you rock. It's about time someone posted a food item.

Justbugged is on for: Baklava, and a large turkey sliced up. I think I will cook it and slice it up to be served cold. I am thinking about stuffing to go with the turkey too. And maybe a crock pot of homemade bake beans. I have the paper plates and a case of water.

Imp is on for: The Stuffed Belgian Endive was a hit, very good. So it's on the list for February, along with the Raspberry Refrigerator Cake.

Tailfeathers is on for: Chili, Maybe Raccoon, or Venison

Amethyste is on for: I am thinking I will bring a homemade cookie assortment. Oatmeal/Oatmeal Choc Chip and Chocolate Chip Cookies and.... maybe a large batch of Spaghetti Salad? It's a cold salad with spa. noodles....

RonB is on for: (1) If my wife is NOT mad at me and is talking to me (50/50 chance) I will be bringing her Layered salad (2) If my wife IS mad at me and not talking. I will be bringing Hot Dogs

Someone mentioned rolls. I would be willing to bring Butterflake rolls made that day from work. Also I am going to buy a 12 pack of Diet coke, Reg. Coke, & Sprite plus 24 bottles of H2O.

Eagle2026 is on for: 1st dish is a potato salad and 2nd is corn bread putting- main dish not a dessert.

Weaveagarden is on for: Banoffee Bars after the Pie name. It is caramel and banana cream in a graham crust. I may also do my Peanut Butter Pie in the same way, but won't commit to that just yet. It is Peanut Butter and Fudge filling.

KMHunter is on for: a Chinese chicken salad and something called Texas Caviar(a dip of sorts),

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  3. weaveagarden

weaveagarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Hoquiam, Wa
    I want to also remind everyone to PM your recipe for your dish to me. I will put together a little souvenier recipe book for the party, as well as print up a card to post by you dish that will have the name of the dish, and the ingredient list. This is so people can ID the recipe with the actual food, and also for those who need to avoid certain foods.

If I don't hear from you by the end of January, I will be contacting you to get your recipe for the book, but it would really help if you could get it to me sooner as I need lots of time to get this ready. I work in short spurts of time and energy, so I need to be able to complete the prep of the book early and have time to do the publishing part of the process. Thanks for understanding.

4. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    Doesn't the place have cooking utensils ??? and maybe a BIG coffee pot??????

5. KMHunter

KMHunter [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Cr

Jun 12, 2009
    Woodinville,WA
    My Coop
    Quote:I will ask, and if not, I am renting one of those big coffee makers for it!

6. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    That will be a great idea to rent a big coffee maker. Then my smaller coffee maker cab used for hot water.

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I'm the sort of person that waits to see what other people bring and then think of something to fill any gaps...

8. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:Works for me!

9. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    Hey Kim
    Maybe you should call Coca-cola too and have a truck load of Diet coke delivered [​IMG]

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm open to making anything. I'll probably fill in also. Also before renting anything, let me check into borrowing it from work. I work in an industrial kitchen with a catering department. I'll ask at work this week if we have a coffee brewer, pretty sure I've seen one.

Russ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by