Washington State Breeders?? Hatcheries??

cblakley0531

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Shelton, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Hey All! :)

Was wondering if anyone know of any breeders or hatcheries in Western Washington State? I would like to avoid ordering chick out of state. I've been hearing a bunch of different things about Murray McMurray and Meyers.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

I dont know of any... :( We are hatching our own right now... they are mixed breeds though.

My grandfather ordered from mcmurray for years (even had some issues with dead chicks arriving, and they sent out replacements the next day~ ended up not being their fault, but the post office people i think...) but they were awesome with replacements and such. i think we will be ordering some special breeds from them in the future... they have a great range of different breeds and birds.

but if there were one instate (and local!! We are up in Ferndale) I would much rather order from them... keep it local! :) what are you looking for and how many?

I dont know of any... :( We are hatching our own right now... they are mixed breeds though.

My grandfather ordered from mcmurray for years (even had some issues with dead chicks arriving, and they sent out replacements the next day~ ended up not being their fault, but the post office people i think...) but they were awesome with replacements and such. i think we will be ordering some special breeds from them in the future... they have a great range of different breeds and birds.

but if there were one instate (and local!! We are up in Ferndale) I would much rather order from them... keep it local! :) what are you looking for and how many?

Gandybugs - thanks so much for replying to my post! I'll be moving to Shelton/Olympia area and was hoping for the following...

Australorps
Easter Eggers/Araucana/Ameraucana
Olive Eggers
Buff Orpingtons
Sussex
Marans

Pretty much any breed (even mixed breeds) that are good layers, friendly and I would LOVE to have a colorful assortment of eggs :) My goal is to try to get a group of chickens that lay close to every shade of egg there is...blue, green, brown, white, dark brown, light brown, pink, etc :)

What do you currently breeding? I won't be moving over until Sept 30th so I won't need any chicks until the following Spring. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to buy local!!

Hello 'Neighbor" (I live in Deer Park). As far as hatcheries go, have you tried Phinney (sp?) in WallaWalla?. I don't think they have a website but you can still call and place an order. Also try Dunlap over in Idaho, they are both pretty good hatcheries. I know Aslin Finch gets their chicks from Phinney. Both should have the australorps, EE's, speckled sussex, buff orps, and others.

There are lots of excellent poultry breeders i n Washington (and Oregon). No commercial hatcheries in Washington, as far as I know.

Try the where am I where are you forum for Washington State. Also, in Meet-ups, there is a poultry swap coming up in the Portland area on May 5. People are already making arrangements to pick up or deliver chicks.

A poultry show in Stevenson on April 21. March 19 a poultry show at Monroe Washington Evergreen state fair grounds.

There are lots of excellent poultry breeders i n Washington (and Oregon). No commercial hatcheries in Washington, as far as I know.

Try the where am I where are you forum for Washington State. Also, in Meet-ups, there is a poultry swap coming up in the Portland area on May 5. People are already making arrangements to pick up or deliver chicks.

A poultry show in Stevenson on April 21. March 19 a poultry show at Monroe Washington Evergreen state fair grounds.

Correction...the poultry show in Monroe is this coming weekend 17-18 and people will be bringing both fertile eggs as well as chicks.

I think it's great you're trying to buy from local breeders/hatcheries. You can also check on Craigslist for local breeders.

Hello 'Neighbor" (I live in Deer Park). As far as hatcheries go, have you tried Phinney (sp?) in WallaWalla?. I don't think they have a website but you can still call and place an order. Also try Dunlap over in Idaho, they are both pretty good hatcheries. I know Aslin Finch gets their chicks from Phinney. Both should have the australorps, EE's, speckled sussex, buff orps, and others.

Howdy Neighbor! ;-)

Thanks so much for the info. I had no idea there was a hatchery in Walla Walla. I'll definitely look into it. I wish they had a website, I couldn't find it either :-( I also heard that there was one is Ritzville. I'm trying to find one around Western Washington mostly but shoot, I'll take any hatchery in WA state since I won't have to worry about the little ones traveling across the country! I found a listing for a hatchery in Snohomish, WA but I think they have a very limited selection. Sounds like that a lot of the local feed stores in my hometown order from the Snohomish hatchery. Good thing I have a little time to do more research! :)

Thank you Oregon Blues! :) I'm honestly all for finding a good hatchery in the northwest so I don't have to worry AS much about ordering chicks from across the country. I just know that I'm going to have a SUPER hard time if I open a box with even one dead chick inside :-(

OOOOO thank you for the heads up about the Washington State thread in the forum. Sometimes I just draw a blank on where to start looking...lol.

All this info you have given me is just awesome! Thanks SO much!! I really appreciate it! I'm getting so excited! I wish I could just get the chicks right now...but don't know how well the hubby would take to having chickens running around in our apartment
lau.gif

Correction...the poultry show in Monroe is this coming weekend 17-18 and people will be bringing both fertile eggs as well as chicks.

I think it's great you're trying to buy from local breeders/hatcheries. You can also check on Craigslist for local breeders.

Reiki Star - well, thank you! I try to buy local as much as possible. Just doesn't get any better than buy produce from local farms, etc. I've been checking Craiglist here and there just to keep my eye on it. I have a feeling that I might have to coordinate buying from a couple different hatcheries to get what I would like. I hear that's something that people have to do a lot??

Back
Top Bottom