Washington State, New to Board, HI!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cielo, Aug 15, 2011.

1. cielo

cielo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Hi! My name is Cielo. I am a mobile chicken roost!
    [​IMG]

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    I was born in a cow town and my family has kept various forms of livestock over the years. I myself have raised chickens on and off for several years, 9 maybe. I was a bike messenger in Seattle for close to a decade so I had some city chickens and ducks. I moved to the country again back where I grew up to farm full time. Much easier to keep birds than in the city!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    I have 5 chickens, 2 Red Golden Pheasants and 4 + Rabbits

(3) What breeds do you have?
    My chickens are mutt bantams my sister hatched out for me. I missed the feed store sales this year. I love them though. I've never kept bantams, I find them full of character. I spend hours with the critters, this might explain why they regard me as a comforting piece of furniture! My doe rabbits are Californian, the buck New Zealand, their offspring... tasty.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Google search!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Ballet, distance running, cycling

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I am fortunate to own 20 acres of beautiful range land with a small cabin. I'm currently working on the place, it's very rustic. I'll be moving and living there full time in the spring. I plan to raise pigs and of course chickens! I live near the Columbia River in Eastern WA, one of the most beautiful places on earth to me. Animals, birds in particular bring so much joy to my life. I am happiest when working with animals and feel blessed to be a farmer.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello Cielo and welcome from Ohio!

Sounds like you've had such an interesting life, doing so many different things, all the while keeping some chickens. Very cool.

Glad you joined and take care,

Sharon

3. 5LadyHens

5LadyHens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    Stinson Beach, CA
    [​IMG]

Hello Cielo! You sound like you've found a slice of heaven in Washington...good for you!
    I adore the chick you are handling in your picture. Beautiful! Lisa

4. cielo

cielo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Hi Sharon.
    I actually went to school in Ohio! The music conservatory at Oberlin. Ohio is very pretty, I liked it there very much. Drove though this past summer as well. It made me a little nervous though because of how flat it is. [​IMG] I'm used to being surrounded by hills and mountains!

Hi Lisa.
    I adore her too! The white one is Faith and the grey on my shoulder is named Basalt. They are actually some of the friendliest chickens I've ever had... [​IMG]

Thank you both for the kind words. I am very excited to be part of the BYC forum. Passionate bird people, my favorite!
    -Cielo

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Welcome from Kansas! Glad you joined BYC!![​IMG] Sounds like you have a very exotic flock and a picturesque place to raise them! Best of luck! [​IMG]

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York!! Sounds like a wonderful place. We have rabbits also (Holland Lops and Mini Rexes), and goats, and lambs, and...

Well, you get the picture. [​IMG] Welcome to the fun!

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you glad. I am just a few minutes from Oberlin college. I agree Ohio is too flat. That's why we love the hills of WV. [​IMG]

9. Mt. Baker Quail

Mt. Baker Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Ferndale, Washington
    [​IMG] from Ferndale, Washington. [​IMG]

10. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    [​IMG] from not-quite-eastern-washington!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by