1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wasn't as prepared as I thought

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ORChickFam, Mar 11, 2015.

1. ORChickFam

ORChickFam Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    So I thought I was ready for the babies to arrive today. I've been reading and reading and reading. Sadly here I sit on the floor next to the brooder and worrying about them. Worrying that the heat is right, is the thermometer reading wrong, why are some laying down, why are some being bossy, why is one trying to steal food out of anthers' mouth and so on.

This is just as stressful as bringing home one of my kids from the hospital after birth. I wasn't really prepared for this.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Take a deep breath....everything will be fine! It is normal for chicks to lay done, they are like babies, they need there sleep. And you will always have at least one chick who tries to show whose boss [​IMG]. Tell us if you have any questions! Oh and what breeds do you have?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I totally understand! Been there, done that.

Relax and enjoy watching the chicks, as they grow up much faster than children! It sounds like you've put a lot of time and research into this, so I'm sure they'll be fine.

4. ORChickFam

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I finally had to walk away and start working on kitchen cleanup otherwise I'd for sure make myself crazy. Especially the ones that just plop down to go to sleep. It's so weird and cute at the same time.

I got us from my pet chicken that came in this morning:
    2 RSLs
    3 RIRs
    5 BPRs
    a White Plymouth
    2 Welsummers
    3 NHRs
    1 Buff Silkie Bantam

and then after a grange run to replace their water jug the kids broke and picked up 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte

5. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Wow! That's a great assortment of egg layers!

6. ORChickFam

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Thanks! I only picked the Silkie for my little kids. The others were the older kids choices but the requirement was egg production. Can't wait to see how the kids choices fair in a couple of months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by