wasn't ready for egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carolinasculpture, Aug 8, 2010.

1. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi!
    Just had our first egg today! This is great...but we weren't quite ready yet. We had planned to have them into their new coop before they were laying and are still about a week out. (They will be exactly 5 months old on the 27th of August.) Anyway, the egg was laid in a crate that I have grit in for them. Should I try to put a "better" box in or just let it be until they can move into the new coop? Any advise would be great! Thanks!

2. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I don't know. They need to be taught to lay where you want them to lay. It is hard to change their habits sometimes. I would put in box in the vicinity of the new coop. Thats just me.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    If she's laying in the crate and not somewhere crazy I'd just let it be for now. You'll have to lock them in the new coop/run for a couple of weeks after the move otherwise they'll go right back to their old spot to lay and roost. Chickies aren't big fans of change and can get a bit stubborn about those things. Don't be surprised if she stops laying for a bit after the move, she'll still be with her flock though so it shouldn't take her long to get back in the groove.

ETA: They usually get more attached to a spot rather then the container so I doubt if moving the box will change anything, she'll just lay on the ground where it used to be or find another (prob. less convenient) spot.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  4. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Great! Thanks! The run that they are in will be the same...just in a different place. But the coop will be new/lots bigger! I appreciate the access to help from those who have done all this before! Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by