Wasn't sure where to post..how do you keep from tracking chicken poop, etc. into your house?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Brahmamama4, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Brahmamama4

Brahmamama4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Washington
    My back porch where I walk outside to the coop is not covered so I cannot leave my shoes outside, especially in Washington where it rains 24/7. Not to mention that I use sand in my run so that sticks to my shoes as well. I was bringing my shoes in and placing them on the mat at the door, but am finding the chicken poop and sand is making it's way onto our carpet somehow! [​IMG] Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this? Any input is greatly appreciated!

2. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I bought a cheap garden cart from Lowes (or Walmart) and keep my shoes in there. It's got 2 shelves and 2 doors. I'm sure you could find something even smaller...maybe a rubbermaid container w/ lid.

3. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Get a covered cat litter box with a door. Just slip off shoes and stick thru the door on the box. It' small so as not to take up much room. You could put it by the gate to your chicken area, then the smell on the chicken shoes is not by the house.

Maye

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    We have boot scrapers mounted at every door. They're a must here.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I use my air compressor to blow my shoes off.

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I got a pair of old winter boots I cut down to make them just slip-ons. They live by the cellar door just slip them on,come back off they go in their spot. Then if I have work boots on i have a hose just outside the door and rinse off the bottom.

7. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    Chicken poop shoes that are left in the garage

8. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA

My "Chicken poop shoes" are right at the back door. Not only for chickens, but also for gardening.

9. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I built a little addition onto the house called a mud room. Shoes and boots are taken off in the mud room. Tile floor is easy to clean. We also store some items in the mud room like dog and cat food, kitty litter, umberellas, coats ,hats. I had to go take care of a horse, and a couple goats. When it rains its a mess. The Mud Room was the cure.

10. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Chicken shoes. We have a mat by the door. When I go out, I slip off my regular shoes and put on my chicken shoes. When I come back in, I switch back. It took awhile to get into the habit of always changing shoes - but slip-on shoes/boots make it easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by