Wasp stings?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by el cotucho, Oct 4, 2016.

1. el cotucho

el cotucho Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2015
    watauga tx
    [​IMG]. Hi guys. Tryin to find out what hapen to my leg horns combs. I tink are wasp stings since i found a nest on the yaed and is at ground level , what have me tinking is tha the rest of my hens are fine, but they dont have a big comb like the lh.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] I hate wasps! That's not what I would expect a sting or many stings to look like. But I haven't yet experienced it. [​IMG]

The nests we have are in the ground as well. And they are some nasty, aggressive buggers. [​IMG]

Good luck finding out if that's what it is.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    someone on BYC told me to use sevin powder on the wasps - got rid of in ground wasps and also in wall wasps. They also hate moth balls, and you can catch a lot with sticky fly traps. I used a lot of stuff on them before tried the sevin powder & moth balls. Funny I got rid of them much easier than the fungus gnats that are driving me nuts with my many indoor plants. What I used on gnats doesn't seem to be working anymore.

4. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada

The sevin powder works wonders on wasps. I had been battling a nest in my soffit and eaves in my home with every wasp spray on the market and clearly it wasn't spraying far enough in to make an impact. So the alternatives were to go up in the attic and crawl to the other end where the nest was (no way lol) or get a professional. Then I thought about sevin because the reason they are beginning to take steps to highly controller it is because it is contributing to bee depopulation. Don't like using it and only do so when I HAVE to.

[​IMG]

Made this little device from a used dish soap container and funnelled some sevin dust in....waited till dark, fed that tube up into the eaves and wore a respirator and squeezed to blow the dust all around up there. I haven't seen one wasp go in or out since! I have since shoved it into a hole in an old stump in the chicken run where I noticed a nest being made. Worked like a charm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by