wasp!! what works for you!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by elliemay0305, Apr 5, 2009.

1. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    last year we had wasp bad. and now its just getting warm and they are already coming out! they are the agressive type to. i walked around the corner of the house last year going to the chicken shed and i had the same wasp come at me three different times going that way until he finally got me!! we spray them and kill them with a fly swatter but they just keep muitiplying! would a bug zapper work for them? im some what allergic to them. not so bad i have to go to the hospital but i swell up! plus i worry about the kids. they are 3 and 5!!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

moth balls. Hide them around, and the wasps stay away.

3. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Quote:THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! I WILL GET SOME TOMORROW! [​IMG]

4. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Thank you here too! I've never been stung so it's my fear that I may be allergic. I'm not a girl that's afraid of spiders or anything, I kill them more than DH, but if I hear that distinct buzzing I freak! We have mean ones here too.

5. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Would it work to hang a little bag with a couple of them in it under the eves? Will they work on yellow jackets too? thanks.

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Never heard that one before, thanks for the tip. I'll try it too! I a highly allergic!

7. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I'm allergic too. I've never heard about using moth balls as a repellant. Let me know if it works for you. I just try to watch for them and spray them with wasp/hornet killer if I see a nest.

8. large1

large1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    If you want a cheap, safe wasp and hornet killer try mixing a strong dishwashing detergent/ water mixture and douse the nest at night. If you do it at night you will get all the wasps that belong on that nest and they will not be as aggressive as during daylight hours. when you hit them with it they will fall to the ground and die very quickly.

9. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I Run!! [​IMG]

and tell my DH, he sprays wasp spray, or gets the hose out. if he finds a bee nest he takes it and puts it in a bucket of water.

10. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Quote:As long as you can run faster than the wasp, that sounds good to me!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by