Wasps - important?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by KDOGG331, Mar 8, 2014.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    what do wasps do? Because I want to get rid of them and I've heard they basically just go around fricking **** up but if they're important, I won't. But I'm scared of them. Well, bees too, but I realize how important the bees are so I wouldn't get rid of them, but wasps are just MEAN. And super scary. And we have sooooo many bees and things on our property :(

2. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I don't like wasps either, but they do eat aphids and other pests. I leave them alone, as long as they don't build nests to close to my house. They can get quite mean if disturbed.

3. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I guess that's true. But that's the problem, they tend to build under the deck railing or roof overhang :(

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    As long as they are not nesting on my buildings, or in areas that my family frequents, I leave them alone. but when they build nests on my home or other buildings, they've gotta go... and I'm not too friendly towards them when I get rid of them! But, I do pride myself in getting rid of a lot of nests without resorting to spray. I once watched a big old white tailed wasp fly down and snag a fly. She then carried the fly a ways, and systematically munched the fly until there was nothing left but a little round pellet... about the size that would fit in one of the cells of her nest. I gained a new respect for wasps that day!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Some wasps are important pollinators, others prey on parasitic insects. I also have a live-and-let-live policy towards them, and in years of outdoor activity have only been stung on 2 occasions. Smarted, but nothing life-threatening.

6. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I guess you guys have good points. Idk, maybe I'll try fake nests or something. I've never really been stung either I guess but we use the deck. Even if we don't eat on the table, we grill on the other one (we have 2, a smaller one with the grill and a lower one that's bigger and has a table and whatnot) so if they're right on the railing next to the grill, it's a problem. But maybe I'll try to just trap them or something. Also, sometimes I won't eat outside cause I'm so scared of them. They sometimes land on food and are so pesky. But I can't swat them so it's like "what now?" Lol

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    There are wasp lures that can be made out of soda bottles. I'll let them live, but I won't tolerate being dive bombed when I'm enjoying my meal. An other pet peeve is yellow jackets. I have much less tolerance for them, as they love to prowl around in the mulch in my garden. I use a butterfly net to snag them, then it's crunch time.

8. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That's a good idea and oh yeah, the yellow jackets are the ones that tend to land on the food!! I mean, it's not necessarily a swarm but there's often one, sometimes several, and even if there aren't, Im scared that there could be. And oh yeah, that's a problem! Ya could get stung if you dig around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by