Wasps - important?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KDOGG331, Mar 8, 2014.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Probably not the right thread butttt...

what do wasps do? Because I want to get rid of them and I've heard they basically just go around fricking **** up but if they're important, I won't. But I'm scared of them. Well, bees too, but I realize how important the bees are so I wouldn't get rid of them, but wasps are just MEAN. And super scary. And we have sooooo many bees and things on our property :(

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Where are you located? You can put it in your profile, helps folks make suggestions.

If wasps are in building you need to be working in I would eliminate them.

If not, might want to leave them alone....find out what kind of wasps they are and learn if they might be beneficial in some way, some wasps eat other pests.

3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Massachusetts, sorry, should probably do that.

And ohhh. Well, they usually make their nests under the deck railing or under the gutter/overhang so not exactly -in- a building but close enough that it's annoying and scary. But yeah, idk, I'd heard they're predatory but I don't mind other bugs that much. It's hard to tell what kind they are. I think we have yellow jackets too. But once after. Ran in I saw one with a white head on the umbrella it was black and white but didnt look like the black and white wasps I looked up so idk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by