1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wasps - important?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KDOGG331, Mar 8, 2014.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Doubt this is the right thread but

what do wasps do? Because I want to get rid of them and I've heard they basically just go around fricking **** up but if they're important, I won't. But I'm scared of them. Well, bees too, but I realize how important the bees are so I wouldn't get rid of them, but wasps are just MEAN. And super scary. And we have sooooo many bees and things on our property :(

2. Rosa moschata

Rosa moschata Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Many wasps will pollinate as the bees do, but they are also predatory -- they will eat other insects. There are many different species of wasps, and some are very selective as to what their prey is. Some will also lay their eggs on hosts, and the larvae feed on them. There are species of wasps that are released (or encouraged, if they're already native) because they seek out pest species for this purpose -- many of these are very tiny.

I'm assuming by "wasps" you mean the various familiar "yellow jackets" or "black wasps" that live in colonies. These are generally less specific about their prey, but they have a penchant for soft-bodied larvae like caterpillars and "rose slugs", which they catch and bring back to the hive. So while it may be "annoying" to have these wasps nesting nearby, the presence of a few individuals foraging in the garden is generally a good thing.

:)

3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ohhh I don't think they pollinated and yeah, I think I read about the larvae thing, some of the hosts are even alive, it's sad.

Anyways, yeah, I meant those kinds :) haha at least, I think that's what I meant, hard to tell cause I'm scared of them. But yeah, I guess you're right. However, we still seem to have tons of caterpillars so they're not doing their job very well or something. It seems like we have a lot of these kinda of wasps though, although I'm not sure. Maybe we have less than we used to, we do have a lot of honey bees and bumblebees though. But for a while we had a mud wasp infestation. But that was years ago but it was scary. I get what you mean about them being useful but the mud wasps most definitely weren't useful. Maybe they were but they were on the ground so when we were younger it was worse and we were more likely to get stung cause we were outside a lot, though I'm not sure I got stung. But we got rid of them I think or they left. And either around the same time or years before, we had tons of ants and all the wasps started moving in in place of them. Sometimes it was good, because we had a few fire ant mounds, but a lot of the hills they moved into were any hills and maybe nature thought there were too many ants but id rather have ants than wasps, at least the mud wasps. I think we also have paper wasps too. We seem to have a lot. We're in Massachusetts. I saw one black wasp with a white face once so I'm assuming that's the "black wasp" you mention since it didnt look like anything I looked up. But yeah, we're on 3 acres and there's a street behind us but besides that, it's all condos and the lots behind us are smaller, though they extend into the woods some (were set back in the woods and have a huge yard too) so all the animals tend to move here and so I think it's more than "just a few", but idk. The annoying and scary thing is that they tend to move in under the deck railing or under the gutter/overhang or in a light or something so really close to the house and it's scary or dangerous or something, I don't know. But I'm hoping they go away on their own. But right now, we have another infestation. Not in the house or anything but so we have a pretty big hill and on the other side of the driveway is a ditch or bowl thing ya know but so on the hillside is where all the ants used to live and the mud wasps when they moved in (plus the backyard and even the bowl, just all over), and currently, another species moved in. One was flying around and my brother caught it and killed it because we thought it was the queen cause it was HUGE but then we looked it up and I forget the name (I'll try to google again) but it's some species of wasp or maybe bee but apparently they're harmless but it still scares me. And by huge I really mean huge. They're like an inch long, maybe close to 2 in some cases. And they just fly around and it says they only sting if they have to/really feel threatened but they have huge mounds all over the hill. We though it was a frickin groundhog or mole at first until one started flying around. That's when my brother killed that and looked it up. Of course, I'm terrified so I ran inside or backed away even though it says they're harmless cause it was huge. I think they're solitary? But idk cause there's mounds everywhere on that hill. But that was last spring/summer so I don't know if they're going to still be there this year but I hope not, they were scary. I don't know, I'm willing to tolerate some bugs but we seem to get a lot of infestations where they take over the whole hill or lawn :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by