waste disposal

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mom25, May 13, 2008.

1. mom25

mom25 New Egg

May 13, 2008
    I called my board of health and if I want to keep chickens I have to submit a plan to them and the abutters including a waste disposal plan-
    Has anyone done this, or have some idea how I can fulfill this requirement?
    We are really only thinking about this, maybe 5-6 chickens on 2.5 acres, but suburbia is all about regulations.
    Thanks
    Ann

2. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    How about a compost pile? Just make sure it is far away from the neighbors so the smell doesn't bother them. You can even buy machines that do the turning for you. Those are pretty much enclosed, used for in town close proximity and they work well! The compost can be used for gardening, and if you have too much you can offer some to your neighbors!

3. cgnc

cgnc New Egg

Apr 24, 2008
    Chinagrove N.C.
    Quote:I agree with the compost pile....Its a shame you have to submit anything.

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Yes, compost pile, you can google composting and then take some of the information and do a little write up for your application. I am here to tell you that if you want a nice garden you will not regret taking the time to ccmpost. Here, in NE Alabama, I don't have much work to do, it rains often and I just turn it several times a week. I add the green and top with the used bedding. My garden is awsome.

I agree it is a shame you have to submit anything. Do dog owners have to present a plan for the waste disposal?

5. dreammaker8482

dreammaker8482 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Liberty, NC
    I would try a compost pile too...you could also try planting a garden and using it as a fertiziler as an added incentive to the compost pile. That way it looks like you have thought everything out, so you just don't have one big pile of compost! [​IMG]

6. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited: May 14, 2008
  7. compost pile, it helps the environment and if the county is really against you ask them what do they have against the environment, turn the tables back on them, usually they will fold if they see you have a good plan, and compost is great for both flower and veggie gardens,At todays price of veggies any homegrown even mixed in with the flowers helps,[​IMG] marrie

8. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    If you have a Sams Club nearby you can pick up a pretty nice composter for just under $40. Its made in Canada from recylced plastic. I compost my chicken manure with everything else. Absolutely NO bad smells at all. I turn it 3-4 times a week.

A little off track here. But yesterday I was adding stuff to my composter. When I removed the lid the first thing I saw was Black Widow web. So I carefully start looking for the Widow (can't stand the #$%& things). I found her. In the corner of the composter. Being eaten by a Wolf Spider!! I always liked Wolf Spiders. Now I know why.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My city wont allow me to compose my pile because it was unsightly and smelly and attracts rodents. So city officials told me to bag the compose away. Black gold, what a waste not to use!

10. Nefertiti

Nefertiti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I really don't use the composer any more. Having clay soil, we dig deep and turn the rows, the go back thru and dig deep into the paths. Soil from paths gets added (along with what ever amenders)to soil in the rows. End up with twice dug, high beds of soil for the rows with low paths in between. Paths get filled with mulch (any biodegradable thing you can get you hands on- old hay,leqaves, grass trimmings, newpaper, even cardboard boxes can be used.) Deep mulch will help suck up water when it's too wet, and help retain same when it's hot and dry. But you can also compost under it. Being that it won't go directly to the rootsystems of the growing plants, even chicken droppings can go into the garden fresh from the coop, If you put them Under the mulch and keep the mulch thick as it breaks down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by