Waste free quail feeder

Discussion in 'Quail' started by nparcher24, Nov 28, 2013.

1. nparcher24

nparcher24 New Egg

Apr 29, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I just finished a new quail coop. I know it's kinda ugly, I will get around to painting it sometime soonish. It has worked really well for the past month, so I thought I would share some pics.

I'm especially proud of my feeding system so I decided to post some pictures. So far I have used it for about 2 weeks. It works wonderfully and is relatively cheap to make. When I fill the reservoirs at the top it will supply food for two cages of quail (10 birds) for about 4-5 days. Just enough for long weekend getaways.

The feeders are pretty easy to make, if anyone needs specific instructions reply to this and I'll write the up when I get some time.

The little orange cups are a water system I picked up on eBay which is attached to the hose. The large metal door on top is a closed storage space for food and other supplies. The Christmas lights have successfully kept them laying surprisingly (although they are kinda ghetto looking).

Happy Thanksgiving!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. mckeesbackyard

mckeesbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    White Mountains, AZ
    Wow! Great set-up! :clap

3. HowieNZ

HowieNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Yup thanks, for the idea to work on.

4. iluvmyquail

iluvmyquail Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2013
    Wow that looks perfectly planned out, from feeders, and roof all the way down to the wheels. Looks like it would be easy to hose down every once in a while, too, being that it is metal.

Wondering how the food waste is with those feeders? Do they throw a lot of the food around?

If you have build plans for your coop or more detailed pics of the poop trays and doorways would love to see them? I will need to make a 3- story coop for after my chicks hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by