Waste less food! Here's how............

Dr.Doorlock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Garland, Texas
One of the big gripes I had with my baby chicks was the way they would waste so much food. Their temporary home is a large cage made of 1/2" square wire. The bottom is about 1" off the paper covered floor. Everytime I changed their papers, there was much more food than poo. I tried the round feeder with the Mason jar, but it did nothing until I put it inside a 9" glass pie pan. This works GREAT! There is almost no waste and the girls don't poo on the plate.

Hope this helps!

While you're here, take a look at my website for my Gallinas.:

http://mysite.verizon.net/reswuzne/index.html

I'm trying it tomorrow, thanks!

Because I am astounded at the agility of these girls to poop in every hole of those round mason jar feeder things!

They must sneak off to yoga classes when I'm not looking...that's the only explanation!

mixing the babies' food in small batches with water, making a loose mush, zero waste, and they eat more and grow faster. If you can't be around to freshen their food a few times a day, you could make them sick from rancid food because of the heat from the brooder bulb, but if you don't have anything better to do than wait hand and foot on baby chicks, it works.

Back
Top Bottom