"Waste not, Want not", or "Why I Love My JRT" . . . pics

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenwhisperer, Nov 5, 2010.

1. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    So I was watching tv a few minutes ago, and I heard a ruckus in the other room, the dog was snarling and growling at something that was faintly squeakin . . .

I go in, and my awesome little JRT had found himself one of the rats that been stealin my animal feeds.
    When I first got in there, it was still a bit alive, by the time I got the camera it was dead.
    He didnt wanna give it up, and my other dog and my buddies 2 dogs were tryin to get a taste as well, but ole Jackieboy wouldnt let em.

Anyways, this was one of the rats that has learned to come from the tree and drop down onto the fence somehow, a distance of about 10ft if its an inch.
    This is one of the last of the rats, my dog has gotten them all, startin with the lazy/stupid ones, over the last few months.
    This makes it so Im down to I hope only one more, and THAT one is the smartest of em all, prolly like the mother or something.

Anyways, just thought this was a bit newsworthy as my dog did a great job tonight, like he has every other night, and like he will do every night to come!

And of course nothing goes to waste here, so I figured my Rattlesnake would appreciate some corn-fed wild rat for a change from domesticated rats . . .

He looks very unhappy, because tho he wants me to see what a good boy he is, he knows Im gonna take that rat away from him . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. jacksboro_red

jacksboro_red Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Jacksboro
    jack russells are great arent they?! ive got two right now. ive always kept jrt's around cause theyre so good for killing pests around the property! had one years ago that would follow me to the chicken coop every time and while i was feeding shed hunt any rats out and never bothered my chickens a bit! there very smart

[​IMG]

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    from the title I thought I was going to see a pic of your JRT cleaning poop off your deck.. [​IMG]

4. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    [​IMG] Good dog! I'd have to make him take it outside though! [​IMG]

5. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Good dog! Two of my Jacks are good mousers but my little girl Charlotte just can't be bothered with them..... of course she doesn't think she's a dog :)

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    We interrupt this program for a quick public service announcement:
    Just in case there's anyone reading this who may not know that a JRT can devastate a flock of chickens, please take note. Be very careful if you have neighbors with JRT's who run loose. Those who have very well trained JRTs around their birds may not have a problem.
    Now, back to your regular programming....
    JJ

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I have no doubt this is true -- on the other hand they are smart as a whip and very trainable, or at least mine is. Mine is one of the three dogs I have who roam free among the chickens. Have not lost a bird since I got them trained and they truly free range, could go to the next county if they wished.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    My JRT did not look crosswise at a chicken for years and years, not since she was a puppy and broke her leg breaking into the coop. Plus getting a lot of intensive training. Then about three months ago, she got into one of the coops and killed 5 birds. And of course, they were some of my best quality ones. Since then she has been VERY interested in the chickens. With a JRT, no matter how well trained, instinct can rear up and take you by surprise.

9. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    My dog will kill any little animal he can catch, and try to kill big aniamls he cant.
    He is 100% a jrt, and he is the best dog Iv e ever owned.

So he killed 3 batches of chicks earlier in the year, so what, thatsa what he does.

My Jack Russell is probably smarter than some people . . . .

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Ok, was that rat inside your house, or did your little dog bring it in to show you? ICK! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by