Waste reducing feeders

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
Bombard me with your ideas and pictures of waste - reducing feeders or feeding techniques. I swear my babies prefer to eat it off the ground and day-old
roll.png

but I would like to cut down on the waste, so I want a better - designed feeder for their new run. Right now I have one of those circle mason jar feeders and they rake food out with their beaks. It's going to be under cover, so it doesn't have to be weather proof.

I saw one made of a bucket with holes and the idea was that the hens would put their heads IN the holes to reach the food so they can't toss it out so bad??? How big do those holes need to be? My babies are young now and I really don't have a good idea of how big they're gonna get
tongue.png
of course I could always make improvements as they grow but I like to plan ahead

sorry i don't have pics for you but i have no waste with my feeders. I got a 3' piece of pvc pipe with a 3x2 reducer fitting. Then you put a 2" 90 degree elbow in the bottom of the reducer. Add a 2" 45 degree elbow to the 90 and you have a feeder. I hung mine with plumbers strap about the same height as the chickens backs. Use street fittings on the 2" fittings(one side is pipe size and the other side is "coupling" size. Home Depot will be able to help you with this if i'm not describing it well enough. The 2" fittings are just big enough for them to stick their heads in and eat. They can't seem to beak out the feed but can get all they can eat. Hope this helps.

Yep, I have this same feeder and a couple of my chicks are even sticking their feet in and raking it out! I can't wait til DH gets his shed built this weekend so we can move all his garden stuff out and set up the new digs for the chicks in the old garden shed.

I think that putting this feeder in something like a frisbee or a pie tin will help, but I need more space to do that. The brooder box is already becoming too crowded.

I recently found a Little Giant 12 lb/12" pan galvanized feeder that I love. It only has about an inch of space between the body of it and the lip of the pan. It's so scratch proof that I have to push the food out into the pan after they eat what they can reach. So far, I haven't seen any starving birds, but I've gone from filling it almost daily to filling every four days.

I got a 3' piece of pvc pipe with a 3x2 reducer fitting. Then you put a 2" 90 degree elbow in the bottom of the reducer. Add a 2" 45 degree elbow to the 90 and you have a feeder. I hung mine with plumbers strap about the same height as the chickens backs. Use street fittings on the 2" fittings(one side is pipe size and the other side is "coupling" size.

I'm not blonde and to me this is like a foreign language. Pix would be very helpful for those of us who've never been inside a hardware store
hide.gif

Quote:
I swear that I'm in the hardware store at least twice a week and am very handy- and I can't get a picture of this in my head either! I'd love to see it though so hopefully we'll get some pictures.

My chicklets are only 2 weeks old and also being fed from the galvanized pan with a mason jar and wasting at least half of the food.

Back
Top Bottom