wasted chick starter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RockinRob, May 16, 2009.

1. RockinRob

RockinRob New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    is there a better way or food type for my chicks , they are 4 weeks this monday . when we empty/clean there boxes allot of it is food . I am using Purina starter mix , also when is it possible to start giving them table scraps? I have 50 buff orpingtons 47 hens 3 roosters

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Purina should be OK. Are they scratching it out? Is the food raised to the level of their backs?

3. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    Rob,

I made this feeder and have little to no waste. Seriously. Purina starter/grower crumbles. In the last four weeks I bet I haven't lost 1/4 cup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wooden box inside the plastic bucket is like a mailbox feeder with a slot to let food out as they eat.

Since it is hanging I can adjust the height to help stop waste also.

With 50 chickens you will need more than one, but it works for my 6. They just wait in line to eat.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Codybird, that looks nifty, but I'm still trying to make sense of the pictures (my fault). I see a wooden box, that must have a slot to dispense feed into the plastic bucket. And the plastic bucket has holes an inch or so above the bottom of the bucket? And the chicks put their heads in the holes to peck the feed off the bottom? And there's no waste, because their heads are in the bucket as they eat? Is that right?

I am also curious about what looks like a J-shaped pipe in the background. Is that for water? How does that work?

5. codybird

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    Sunny side, that is correct.

The waterer is a 4' piece of 3" PVC with a cap and two 90 degree elbows.

Lay it down like so and fill with garden hose.

[​IMG]

When you stand it back up the water will be held in place by vacuum and not come out till your chickies drink it down.

I put bricks around it at first so my 4 week olds could reach it.

Holds about 1.5 gallons.
    [​IMG]

I put the red waterer near it so they could figure it out. Didn't take long.

[​IMG]

6. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    Wish i could see the wooden box outside of the plastic container in order to see how it's made .
    This looks like a great feeder , do you have a patent on it yet ?
    Thanks ,
    Shannon

7. codybird

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    I'll get a pic tomorrow. I had to play with the slot width to get it right.

I guess a round 5 gal bucket would work also, and maybe put a coffee can inside to dispense.

I just put together other people's ideas.

I hate waste.

By the way the bucket is an empty Delicat cat food container from Sam's. I liked it because it was square.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  8. upthecreek

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    Hey thanks , i will look for it tomorrow .

I have and can get plenty of the 2 1/2 gal white buckets from a cake house near me . I think one of the big cans that restaurants gets veggies and other foods in(they are big'ens) would be perfect to fit into these buckets . I've been using them for water and feed buckets . I can handle them better that the big 5 gal buckets . I do use the 5 gal to mix my feeds in .
    Thanks ,
    Shannon
    South Alabama

Quote:

9. upthecreek

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    Would anyone know how i could save this thread to a folder or something like that ?
    This thread contains such good info(feeders&waterers) that i would like to keep in a place where i could go look at it at anytime .
    Thanks Guys ,
    Shannon

10. RockinRob

RockinRob New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Wow ,,,thanks for the info!!! I just started raising the quart water ,just one last night ( they had to be cleaned twice a day they had water in them but the outer ring was full of food ) , I used a pvc fitting and 4 bolts and I am going to raise all 3 waters tomorrow and try it on the feeders . I think raising them is going to help ( IE raising it up to back level suggestion ) I will try to get some pictures and post them thanks Robby

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by