Wasted feed - layena crumbles aren't cheap.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gypsi, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll bet there are 5 lbs of layena crumbles around the feeder on the floor of my coop at any given moment. Granted the feeder is my spring 2010 DIY special = 2 gallon bucket, 2 big holes drilled in it - about 2 inches diameter, on the side, at the bottom. Sits on a 5 gallon bucket lid. The floor of the coop is plywood, but covered with 45 mil epdm pond liner. No poop in the area, so when I fill the feeder, I pile mounds of it up around and on the bucket lid. This is clean, dry food, obviously I do not have a rodent problem. (coop and run are away from my fence, so dogs can patrol the whole surrounding area, and they do some ratting)

I am additionally giving my 4 production reds and one barred rock about half a cup of yogurt with 3 crushed eggshells daily, trying to get them to finish their molt, and so the eggs they lay do not break on impact in the nest.

What the heck am I doing wrong.

Gypsi

2. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    I had a lot of spilled feed too, the girls like to dig in their feed buckets. They will dig on the ground for the food - as you said its dry and still good. I switched to pellets, NO WASTE!! Its amazing how long it takes them to go through a full bucket now! And, cheaper for me. My broody breaks the pellets up for the chick even though I put chick crumbles out for them.

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Same thing occurs here. I have a hanging feeder which does help, hung at back level to the girls.However at any given moment there is feed under it. I have a rubber mat under the feeder so that the feed doesn't go through the floor (it's wood). Try pellet Layena, the first week or so they may protest the change but pellets are less wasteful and they will adjust.I feed only pellets to my LF hens and there is hardly any wasted cause they pick up what drops.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

While your building a non-spill PVC or similar feeder, portion feed them. One way or the other. Either build a feeder that doesn't allow waste or ration feed them morning and afternoon to avoid waste.

The price is feed is too high and the rodents attracted is too much to continue with the present setup. That's the best guidance I can give. It pains me to see or hear of wasted feed.

5. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Same here, switched to pellets and a lot less waste. But, sometimes they bill out a lot of pellets, too. I remove the feeder until they clean up the floor!! Works pretty good for me. I'm home and keep an eye on things.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I've had chickens for 4 years. For 3.5 years I have used chamber pots. I fill half way or so with crumbles. I lose almost NO feed. Maybe a tsp at times. I get them on ebay cheap like 10-15 bucks, and now I have 5. One serves 19 full size chickens. I fill it once a day. With crumbles. I put about 2-3 quarts in at a time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pot has been in the same place for a long time. Do you see crumbles on the floor?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  7. hennyannie

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Laughed when I read this! I usually fill the feeders that way if something happens and I don't get home till late I know they're covered.
    If my DH is asked if he filled the feeders, this is his response "No I did not, I am making them clean the floor up first." LOL

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

I postponed buying feed in July to make them clean the floor up, and that's when my soft eggshells got started I think. Now, it MAY be a coincidence. They are all aging, they are molting. Or it may be they are picky and aren't eating enough of their feed, and that may have started when I insisted on floor cleaning....

ayayaya [​IMG]

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would put my chamber pots up against any feeder out there.

10. hennyannie

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I know they are certainly prettier than any ole chicken feeder!
    I have been looking for some second hand crock or pottery bowls, my brother waters his rabbits with them. He got the pieces at auctions cheap because they were slightly chipped or stained etc. I fed for him in August and I notice the bowls kept the water cooler than what was coming from the hose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by