Wasted Feed

Kscott45

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Hello Folks,
I just started raising Serama's and having a hard time figuring out a feeder that limits the amount of wasted feed. I have tried the mason jar feeder, I have put it on blocks and tried hanging it at different heights and got a 3lbs feeder from farm and fleet and tried the same thing, but my 5 little 2 month old girls I hatched, waste a lot of food. My standard chickens don't waste the amount feed these little lady's do. I don't know if I should still grind there food but they seem to be able to handle the crumbles. Can anymore help me with a better feeding system, or any tips. Please help I hate wasting feed.

Don't have an answer...sorry. But I feel your pain. My chicks waste TONS of food! I think they waste more than they eat! I am going to watch this thread...maybe your thread can solve my problem as well! I was feeding in a regular chick feeder the round type with the holes around and the jar on top. This morning I am going to try a large dog dish with a 2X4 across the middle to hopefully keep them out of the pan. I am hoping they will find it easy to eat standing out of the pan, the pan is tall enough so they can't scratch in it like they do the chick feeder. I will let you know if it is a success.

Are your 2 month chicks in a brooder still or in the run/coop? Mine are also 2 months old and are in their coop/ run full time. This is how I've been doing their feed and they seem to love it. My run is 16ft x 8 st, so I have one of these on each side right in the middle.
It keeps it from being everywhere, they know where to find it and it's not big enough for them to get inside if it and poop!

I have a indoor pen and a outdoor pen, they go out during the day and in at nite. But that looks like something I can make to use in both pens. thanks

And let see what other great ideas people have so please keep posting great feeder ideas.

Mine are outside and I fill their feeder in the morning. Usually by about 3-4 pm they have emptied the feeder with a large amount spilled on the ground. I let them forage what they have spilled during the day after that. I will check again about 2 hours before dark and if they have cleaned up their mess I will give them some additional to give them a full belly before bedtime. Works for me. Might want to put a piece of cardboard under the feeder if they are in a brooder so it doesn't get lost in the shavings.

Here's what I came up with. It's a feed catcher and it catches almost every speck of beaked-out feed so none reaches the ground. I made them with quick-release fasteners so they detach quickly for a quick dump back into the feeder. I estimate these catchers save me several pounds of feed every week.

I used naugahyde with a heavy gauge wire threaded into the hem and then slightly gathered to form a "bowl". The straps are cut lengths from strapping they put around bundled lumber. They can be easily sewn onto the catcher, and elastic fed through them to hold the catcher onto the feeder. The quick-release fastener I found at Wal-Mart in the camping section.

Beware of using bright colors and patterns when selecting the material. My first prototype was made from red, green and yellow material and the chickens were so scared of it, they wouldn't go near it. As soon as I swapped it for a neutral color, they took right to it.

I used naugahyde with a heavy gauge wire threaded into the hem and then slightly gathered to form a "bowl". The straps are cut lengths from strapping they put around bundled lumber. They can be easily sewn onto the catcher, and elastic fed through them to hold the catcher onto the feeder. The quick-release fastener I found at Wal-Mart in the camping section.

Beware of using bright colors and patterns when selecting the material. My first prototype was made from red, green and yellow material and the chickens were so scared of it, they wouldn't go near it. As soon as I swapped it for a neutral color, they took right to it.

Could you post a close up picture of your catcher? I'm more of a visual person
smile.png
What a brilliant idea! You're a genius! I bet you could sell those. btw, what is naugahyde? I guess I could go google it...lol

Ah! naugahyde=a vinyl coated fabric
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom