1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wasted Food Question

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by Chickenpatty84, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Chickenpatty84

Chickenpatty84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2015
    SE Louisiana
    Hey Y'all,

So quick question. My wife and I have some 2.5 week old chicks. I'll begin by saying that this is our first batch so we are new to this. With regard to feed, our 12 chicks are going through it like crazy. She has to refill the one quart feeder twice a day. That isn't ths issue though...it's the wasted food. They spill it everywhere in the brooder. Simple question....should we let them, or at least count on them, to forage through the shavings for their food or keep letting them eat from the feeder only.

Thanks.

2. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    Yes! I always make them empty the feeder completely and clean up the mess before refilling. Otherwise the little turds would spill it all out looking for those little yellow corn chunks and never eat the good stuff.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Place the feeder on a pie plate so what they bill out is saved. You can make a mash or ferment it to also reduce waste.

4. Chickenpatty84

Chickenpatty84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2015
    SE Louisiana
    Man that was quick. Thanks for the advice y'all! The pie tin is a good one...definitely takes a village.

5. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    I just started fermenting a week ago. They eat it all no waste. They really like it, I put there grower crumbles in a jar for 3 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by