wasting away, lethargic, cold feet, dirty bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarolynPerth, Jan 24, 2010.

1. CarolynPerth

CarolynPerth Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Perth
    My hen has been not quite right for a while, she was often off by herself standing facing the fence but she was laying, eating and drinking and roosting with the rest of the flock. Now she is getting lethargic, floppy comb and a very dirty bottom where her droppings just dribble out, they are dark green and white to slightly yellowish (yellow maybe just a side effect of the green mixing in) and she started sleeping on the floor.

She is about 2 years old, ISA, Weight loss is quite severe now as her keel bone is protruding sharply. Loss of appetite has been going on for about 2 weeks and I hand fed her minced beef, egg, yoghurt and oatmeal to try and keep her going but now I think maybe that was wrong.

Now I feel a hard ball about the size of a marble in her crop and wonder if an obstruction is causing the problem. I don't smell any sourness on her breath but her rear end smells strongly of ammonia. I've read about treating impacted crops and will start the ACV.

Also her abdomen feels enlarged and soft and the vent contracts a lot but I can't feel any egg.

One other thing, she cheeps like a chick which none of the others do.

Any thoughts on what else I could treat her for safely? I am a bit frightened of flushing because I'm afraid I'll drown her and I can't afford a vet vist for another week.

Thanks
    Carolyn

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Sounds like she may have an infetion from being egg bound, as the eggs may have no shells if they have been building up - - has she been laying recently?

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    have you tried brining her in and washing her bottom off and letting her in for the night? maybe some warm oatmeal might help. Do you have an avian vet near by that might be able to take alook? I heard that once they reach two years they start to lay less so maybe it has something to do with that?? Good luck

4. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    How is she???

5. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    This is the exact same thing that's been happening with my 15 month old campine. She had a high fever about a week ago, and I took her to a vet. They gave her antibiotics and the fever went away, but now she's not eating again. Before she got the fever she wasn't eating or drinking and she was very lethargic. She also has diarhea and a droopy comb. The vet said he didn't think she had a bound egg. He thought she might have an impacted crop though. Other than the antibiotic, he wasn't much help. I've been massaging her crop, but at this point, there's very little in there to massage.

6. orbittee

orbittee New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    NW MT
    Whatever happened w/ your chicken?

My 8 month old barred rock has been showing exact same symptoms for weeks now. I've tried various things, but to no avail. She's a sweetheart & don't wanna lose her...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by