Wasting, Runty Pullet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hokankai, Dec 22, 2012.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    One of my pullets this year has stopped growing and feels skinny and light. Compared to her sisters she's pretty small and I'm not sure what's wrong. She enjoys food and has no other symptoms that I can see. I lost one of her sisters about a month ago to unknown causes, and one of my bantams in the coop next door to something similar (got very skinny, died of unknown causes).

I've treated with Corid and that wasn't it. Could it be worms? Something else? I have no idea.

Any ideas?

2. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I just looked through the symptoms and the only two that fit are weight loss and slow growth, so I don't think that's what it is. I'll give her a better look-over in the morning. This has been going on for awhile, about a month or so where it seems she hasn't grown much. I'm starting to worry that it might just be an inborn error. She had to have help during hatching (as well as her sister who passed) but mostly because their eggs got stepped on by the hen.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Hmmmm have they ever been wormed??? Check them for mites and lice.

4. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I haven't wormed them in a couple months, but they have been worms and everyone else in the coop is fine.

I just treated my banties for a bad mite infestation, but I checked the LF and didn't find any on them. I just looked on her this evening as well and didn't see any.

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Is she being bullied??

6. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Not that I can see. I have two feeders and plenty of feed. There's also plenty of room to run away.

7. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    I fed my runt eggs daily and she fully recovered after afew weeks.

8. Good luck to your hen!

9. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I'm going to start giving her extra attention, dried cat food, egg, and liver and see if I can beef her up a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by