Wat could I say to my mom to convinc her to let me go huntin by mysef?

birdman123

Songster
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
woodsfield ohio
I have took a Hunters Safety Course, I know how to operate a weapon. Iv'e been hunting a few times with my mothers friend,with my moms second husband and with my moms second husbands dad. I know how to shoot,I know how to put the shell into the firearm,I know how to shoot it,I know were the safety is, and I know not to point the gun at anything but what i'm shooting at.

Like any parent I could expect her to be worried about letting her son go hunting by himself for the first time but what could I say to her to let her know i'm safer then she thinks i would be by myself. She told me a bit ago she hasnt said no yet but shes just a little weiry about letting me going hunting for the first time. Any ideas?

Quote:
First of all, make sure you know the age you must be to hunt by yourself in your state. In Pa I think it is 16 years old. Otherwise an adult hunter must be within 25 yards (not exactly sure) from the junior hunter.

I'm in my mid 30's. Unless I'm hunting on my own land I do not hunt without a buddy. It is too easy to get turned around, twist an ankle etc. I know that compass's in Michigan don't always work so that has a part of my reasoning.. but I have done it. Wouldn't do it again, as I was a statistic.. and so was my grandpa. Grandpa had a massive heart attack while turkey hunting. If he had a cell phone he'd be in a lot better shape. If he wasn't such an ornery tough old rooster he never would have been able to walk out and get to a house to call 911.

I twisted my ankle and literally had to crawl out thinking I had broken it. Unless I'm within a couple thousand yards of my house I will never hunt again by myself. Just too much can happen in the national forests where nobody else treads...

And for the folks who get lost.. Know your topography maps, know how to read your compass and know delineation for your area. It does vary by region and it does change yearly.

Barring that..... first time hunters need an old hoary boar to show them 'da ropes
smile.png
I still take one of those along. My dad, an uncle, grandpa, friends dad etc. There's only so many years and I've lived so few..

PS, hunting on my own land....... I've got walkie talkie (cb band) and cell on me.. so I'm never truly alone.... and I don't do it alone often..

Last edited:
I work at a 911 center and hunting alone is one of the worst things you can do. I have seen too many people get lost, hurt, or even have a heart attack and die while in the woods. Most of these times they are not alone, but a lot of the time someone gets hurt, they are alone. Most of the county where I live has cell phone coverage, but the areas where the mountains and tress are, don't. So, you can imagine how hard it makes my job, along with the fire fighters and forestry workers to find you if something happens.

Please, please, please, as a mother and public servant, DO NOT go hunting alone.

(Also, being a mother, I know how yours feels and would NEVER let my son or daughter hunt alone. At least not until they are out of my house and making their own decisions)

I'm 41 and my mom still worries about me hunting alone.
wink.png

She tells my boyfriend, "Don't let her go out there on her own!" He just smiles. I tell him that if something happens to me, he'll be in big trouble.
big_smile.png

What kind of hunting are you doing? Do you have a cell phone? (That works in the woods) If you're just walking around in the woods looking for squirrels, I don't think that's a big deal as long as she knows where you're going and you have your phone. If you're going out into a treestand, there's a lot more to consider there.

Moms are worry warts and can't help but being protective. Best thing is to not push her and find a hunting buddy. Most hunting is more fun with a friend around anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom