Wat is considered Day One in the Incubaor???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by antiquebuff, Mar 2, 2008.

1. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Oh My, I am new to this.......What counts as day one in the incubator. I counted the first day as day one and someone told me that was not right and I am trying to see if I should have babies tomorrow or Tuesday. I quit turning last night.
    Thanks for the help! I have learned so much form the site!!![​IMG]

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    oh man I cant believe I forgot this. I think if you put them in, in the morning its day one and if you put them in at night (around 7pm the next day counts as day 1. Someone will correct me

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    That's what I always go by. BTW, you should stop turning at day 18.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  4. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I have always been told that if you put them in the bater before noon on that day then count it as day one, after noon count it as day two. Going by my chicken egg hatches that seems to be the case

5. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    i didnot mean day two i am sorry the next day is counted as day one

6. antiquebuff

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks so much! I will now wait and see what happens. I can't see anything going on yet. I will keep you informed! I am so excited! [​IMG]

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Work it out in hours [​IMG]

The chicks from hens eggs should hatch on the 21st day, so anything from 480 to 504 hours from reaching incubation temp would be perfect.

24 hours early, or up to 48 hours late then check the temperature. If only 1 or 2 out of a large batch are early or late, then most likely it is the egg, not the incubator that is the problem.

8. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    To me 1 day could not be counted till 24hrs. had lapsed. There are 24 hrs. in a day and if I set them this morning at 8 o'clock, day 1 would be tomorrow morning at 8:00am. That is 24 hrs. and that is one day where I come from..[​IMG]

9. antiquebuff

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    OK, this is great, I used the hours and I have the correct time. So I will sit by the bator and wait! I do hope all will be ok, I want baby chicks so bad! I read this board every night and look at all the photos and I really have the fever!
    Thanks again for the help! I will keep you informed, they should be between Monday (480 Hours and Tuesday 504 hours)! [​IMG]

10. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    what kind of eggs you hatching? I am technically on day 5 on my duck eggs. I got 23 days left

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by