Wat sex are these silkies

Melmba

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
There are no first generation crosses in these photos.. as first generation Silkie crosses will NOT be Silkie feathered.. So if their is a cross.. it's either second generation to a Silkie split.. or just a different color.

The only male I'm seeing in the photos is the blue-ish boy in the background.

The little white non bearded Silkie.. is female. Cocks show their gender quite readily in most cases!

The larger white bearded one.. head looks all female.. get a side standing shot.. similar to the blue guy.. to look for saddle feather confirmation. :)

What makes you think cross, out of curiosity? Maybe there is something I'm not seeing.. But what I do see is two Silkie females.. one bearded and one not bearded. And yes the non bearded one.. doesn't conform to any color variety in the standard of perfection that I'm familiar with.. but still Silkied. So maybe just not pure for color.. White, can hide many things underneath.
Thankyou so much for your reply .. im shocked you think their both girls, ive sat with them all day trying to figure it out πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ.they all live at my mums and im here for a week so ttying to sort out where they will sleep over winter. I have 5 in all.. that bluish one you saw in background is my grey silkie cockrel then i have 3 minature silkies who i thought were crosses because they have orange eyes like warrens i read that pure breed silkies have black eyes .. i think their skin isnt black either im not sure bout that tho ill che k tomorrow , then i have the white pure breed. So i had grey cock and 2 miniatures together and have been laying 1 egg a day only i dont know which one but i have an idea, then the 2 silkies ive been picturing tonight live together and this week have started laying an egg but i dont know which one, i tried putting all 5 together today but the 2 minatures that lived with grey cock just runs after these 2 pecking head back pulling their wings pulling the fluff on their head and their scared out of their minds ive just had to seperate them back to normal pairings and ill try again tomorrow. But if you think those 2 are females i havnt got a clue what im going to do if they are all not getting along.

EggSighted4Life

Crossing the Road
Apr 9, 2016
California's Redwood Coast
Pure white silkie frontals
female.

3 minature silkies who i thought were crosses because they have orange eyes like warrens i read that pure breed silkies have black eyes .. i think their skin isnt black either im not sure bout that tho
Sometimes there are hidden genetics.. wrong eye color can happen even in pure bred.

Poor (light) skin coloring is very common in Silkies. Pure breeds get it plenty, and only folks who care select against it and try to maintain breeds true to their original traits.

This is the minature cross
I see you'll have remind me age and show the standing stance. Are they regular feathers or SIlkied? Wide comb says cockerel, but age is hugely relevant.

The blue earlobes.. is my favorite! :love

Last edited:

Melmba

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
female.

Sometimes there are hidden genetics.. wrong eye color can happen even in pure bred.

Poor (light) skin coloring is very common in Silkies. Pure breeds get it plenty, and only folks who care select against it and try top maintain breeds true to their original traits.

I see you'll have remind me age and show the standing stance. Are they regular feathers or SIlkied? Wide comb says cockerel, but age is hugely relevant.

Im soo new to this im not used to the terminology nor actual facts just what im reading off google and this forum πŸ™ˆ ive found some pics i took today ill post them and see if they show what u are looking for.. the minatures are 12 months old maybe more .. the big white one is 7 months old and so is my grey silkie cock

Attachments

Melmba

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
female.

Poor (light) skin coloring is very common in Silkies. Pure breeds get it plenty, and only folks who care select against it and try top maintain breeds true to their original traits.

Silkied feathers? Do you mean fluffy πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ™ˆ .. their all fluffy no regular chicken feathers like you get in warrens and leghorns ..

EggSighted4Life

Crossing the Road
Apr 9, 2016
California's Redwood Coast
Im soo new to this im not used to the terminology nor actual facts just what im reading off google and this forum πŸ™ˆ ive found some pics i took today ill post them and see if they show what u are looking for.. the minatures are 12 months old maybe more .. the big white one is 7 months old and so is my grey silkie cock
1603567157101.png

So this one is definitely female, and very nice looking as well!

Her beak is getting way too long (when I zoom in).. so consider either CAREFULLY trimming the top.. with a good pair of dog nail clippers, maybe look at some videos and such to get a good basic grasp.

Beyond that, make sure there is a good solid object like a rock, brick, stepping stone.. something course.. that they can wipe their beaks on when removing left over debris to help hone them and keep em shorter., if they don't already have something like that. Sometimes I serve my snack on top of a stone paver, whether it be meal worms, moist feed, yogurt, whatever... Harder soiled pastures/yards where down toe nails and beaks much more than softer soiled ones and birds which don't range or forage. And youngish birds can have excellent growth there. When I lived in the desert with packed ground I never had to trim dog nails. Since moving to the coast with very sandy and humus rich forest type ground I need to trim dog nails several times per year.. even though they're older with less rapid growth now..

No regular chicken feathers, likely equals no cross breeds.. just differences in phenotype.. (observable characteristics).. as an avid breeder.. still VERY armature in my understanding.. I've seen a broad array of things.. and I have worked with Silkies.. it's just different "quality" that I'm seeing. Both bearded and non bearded are accepted in the standard.. I prefer the bearded in Silkies.. the bearding is even dominant, If I recall correctly.. when crossed beard to non.. most offspring will still be bearded.

Even if newly introduced birds are all female and initially unleashes havoc.. they have pecking orders and they are going to change.. it's almost always a mess short term. Most of us use look but don't for a period before full introduction. Given enough space, maybe some extra feeders and visual blocks.. things usually settle down within a few days with high intensity roost time antics. As long as no one is getting cornered or being bullied relentlessly or bleeding then you are likely okay.

1603566362441.png

So this one has a straight comb and not dark skin.. Plenty fine for pet and laying, should not be kept in a breeding pen (truly).. Looks bearded and wattles are still good size even though bearding gene inhibits wattle size

I'm sorry for being all over the place with my information.. with them changing though time and the many photos..

Any cockerels should be showing themselves just as clearly as your blue boy is by 7 months old.. so if that's the youngest.. you should be able to tell.. questioning THIS late.. means it's probably female, in MY experience. Even males that act shy and girly can't hide those long flowing saddle feathers.. If you have anyone you're still uncertain about, mark their photos with a number to review more systematically.. sorry, I am a scatter brain at times and organization is not my strong suit! :)

Melmba

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
View attachment 2385607
So this one is definitely female, and very nice looking as well!

Her beak is getting way too long (when I zoom in).. so consider either CAREFULLY trimming the top.. with a good pair of dog nail clippers, maybe look at some videos and such to get a good basic grasp.

Beyond that, make sure there is a good solid object like a rock, brick, stepping stone.. something course.. that they can wipe their beaks on when removing left over debris to help hone them and keep em shorter., if they don't already have something like that. Sometimes I serve my snack on top of a stone paver, whether it be meal worms, moist feed, yogurt, whatever... Harder soiled pastures/yards where down toe nails and beaks much more than softer soiled ones and birds which don't range or forage. And youngish birds can have excellent growth there. When I lived in the desert with packed ground I never had to trim dog nails. Since moving to the coast with very sandy and humus rich forest type ground I need to trim dog nails several times per year.. even though they're older with less rapid growth now..

No regular chicken feathers, likely equals no cross breeds.. just differences in phenotype.. (observable characteristics).. as an avid breeder.. still VERY armature in my understanding.. I've seen a broad array of things.. and I have worked with Silkies.. it's just different "quality" that I'm seeing. Both bearded and non bearded are accepted in the standard.. I prefer the bearded in Silkies.. the bearding is even dominant, If I recall correctly.. when crossed beard to non.. most offspring will still be bearded.

Even if newly introduced birds are all female and initially unleashes havoc.. they have pecking orders and they are going to change.. it's almost always a mess short term. Most of us use look but don't for a period before full introduction. Given enough space, maybe some extra feeders and visual blocks.. things usually settle down within a few days with high intensity roost time antics. As long as no one is getting cornered or being bullied relentlessly or bleeding then you are likely okay.

View attachment 2385583
So this one has a straight comb and not dark skin.. Plenty fine for pet and laying, should not be kept in a breeding pen (truly).. Looks bearded and wattles are still good size even though bearding gene inhibits wattle size

I'm sorry for being all over the place with my information.. with them changing though time and the many photos..

Any cockerels should be showing themselves just as clearly as your blue boy is by 7 months old.. so if that's the youngest.. you should be able to tell.. questioning THIS late.. means it's probably female, in MY experience. Even males that act shy and girly can't hide those long flowing saddle feathers.. If you have anyone you're still uncertain about, mark their photos with a number to review more systematically.. sorry, I am a scatter brain at times and organization is not my strong suit! :)
No its my fault, i had already sorted in my head the genders of these birds months ago, but because i dont live here things happened, and birds got moved around when i got back they looked different and it got me so confused, so i came on here and just spewed up all my issues instead of writing it up with organisation... my brother has told me to stop being a girl and let the birds fight till they give up and be happy πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ™ˆ so ill "man up" and let them get on with it ...
these minatures was given to me by someone for free because they knew i liked silkies, one has passed away (i whited him out in one of the pics) so i now feel i have a larger duty to give these birds a good home, i totally understand what your saying about not good for breeding with, as cruel as this sounds, the farm we live on if you dont lay eggs or you cant breed then you have to go because its not a petting farm,i dont want to give them away if i dont have to. Last week we successfully hatched one of that grey cock and one of the minatures egg and wat came out was a supppeerrr tiny little ball of fluff in neon yellow (paint chick) with black eyes and full silkie features like its dad, nothing like its mum except for the size, i will post picture tomorrow next to my other weekolds hes like 1/3 the size πŸ˜†πŸ˜† so for this chick to be so " silkie " does this not make them worth breeding in your opinion?

Melmba

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
No its my fault, i had already sorted in my head the genders of these birds months ago, but because i dont live here things happened, and birds got moved around when i got back they looked different and it got me so confused, so i came on here and just spewed up all my issues instead of writing it up with organisation... my brother has told me to stop being a girl and let the birds fight till they give up and be happy πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ™ˆ so ill "man up" and let them get on with it ...
these minatures was given to me by someone for free because they knew i liked silkies, one has passed away (i whited him out in one of the pics) so i now feel i have a larger duty to give these birds a good home, i totally understand what your saying about not good for breeding with, as cruel as this sounds, the farm we live on if you dont lay eggs or you cant breed then you have to go because its not a petting farm,i dont want to give them away if i dont have to. Last week we successfully hatched one of that grey cock and one of the minatures egg and wat came out was a supppeerrr tiny little ball of fluff in neon yellow (paint chick) with black eyes and full silkie features like its dad, nothing like its mum except for the size, i will post picture tomorrow next to my other weekolds hes like 1/3 the size πŸ˜†πŸ˜† so for this chick to be so " silkie " does this not make them worth breeding in your opinion?
Oh and the beak issue πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ i was hoping nobody would notice even tho its hard not to, i have already put a stone in today for his beak it should never have gotten this way ive told my mum off πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† she never noticed ...didnt know i could cut them with scissors i will google and try that tomorrow thankyou

Top Bottom