Watch Carefully Ladies, This Is How It's Done

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbieschicks, Feb 23, 2012.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Says my 32 week old WL roo, Foghorn - I heard a big commotion when I went out to clean out the coop and found just about everyone inside getting a lesson on where to lay.
    The 19 week old LOs listened carefully and then a few of them tried out the nest boxes, kicking out the fresh straw and ping pong balls in the process. The LO roo Francis stood nearby to watch the whole affair.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

My 28 week old AC wanted nothing to do with egg laying lessons or egg laying and quickly rushed off. "No eggs from me!" She cries out.
    Meanwhile the 19 week old Silkie roo, Daisy, listened from the corner to pick up pointers on how to teach the ladies.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Of course my 32 week old WL pullet, Snow White, was not too happy as she wanted to actually lay her egg and not just learn about it. Since she was well versed in laying, she soon gave up waiting and joined him in the nest box.
    [​IMG]

2. evenstargirl

evenstargirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Foghorn is hilarious!! How cute!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It cracks me up when the Roos check out nesting areas. My dominant roo often goes into nest boxes to check 'em out and encourage pullets to use 'em.

He also finds choice spots on the porch, behind this or that bit of furniture or a box left there.

I love your photos - Foghorn's a great rooster!

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Oh yeah - and here's the video of the class lesson - listen carefully to the lavender orpington rooster, Francis' response to Foghorn's lesson.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by