Watch Cat?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by nightcap, Aug 31, 2009.

1. nightcap

nightcap Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Caught our cat hanging with the chickens. They seem to get a long ok. I think the chickens could take the cat in a fair fight.

[​IMG]

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

[​IMG] My dog went into the hen run and a broody hen scared her ot of it again [​IMG] [​IMG] Nice picture!

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    looks like my neighbor's cat that tried to take in one of my chickens; the rooster saved the day and the cat has never been back. the first time our cat saw our chickens, she thought they might be prey, but was really put off by their lack of fear of her. She now ignores them to the point of looking away from them in passing.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I used to free range my Leghorns a lot- the cats would hide behind the bushes and leap out to make the chickens squawk and flap! Then the'd scamper off giggling. Cats and chickens ate cat food from one big bowl, all together. It was a hoot.

Thanks for the great pic, nice cat and chickens!

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    my chickens are bullies to my cat, she will eat and drink with them until they get too close and then she saunters off.

6. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

My old SLW, Myra, is the queen of the yard. You don't screw with Myra!!! [​IMG] My Australian Shepard is scared to death of her. She's not mean at all to us, don't be a dog or god-forbid, an love sick rooster... She doesn't put up with anything. When she sees a roo having a good time, she will interrupt, run down, and "punish" him severely.

7. leearealake

leearealake Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    we had a stray kitten show up the other day and i was out with the chickens and my 9 yr old came out in the pen with the kitten fallowing (we have a full grown cat outside and they dont mind her) every one started closeing in on the kitten and it started toward the babies house and up the ramp to curl up in the grass bed to sleep the house is a wire cage and every one was looking in at the kitten or 5 silkie chicks were right outside by the kitten talking and getting closer at first nothing then they were where they were so close it was just wire between them qand you could see the eyes of the kitten fallow the chicks and our runt white silkie pecked trew the wire at the kittens tail made it look he just turned his back pulled his tail closer and pretended to sleep the chicks all went to the front to the door and carried on for a min then the littel one actually went in squawking up a storm and the kitten ""SLEEPT"on the chick ended up getting in the kittens face and still nothing but it actually bit the kitten on the tail and the kitten did get up but he just santerd out and sat down by the gate the chicks left him alone after that and the kitten went out with us hes not been back in thet i know of that was the end of it:rolleyes:

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

thats a great picture! I've got a cat that looks just like yours! Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I love pics of guard kitties, my Pudster is such a good chicken kitty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by