Watch Crow

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ZenHens, Jun 5, 2012.

1. ZenHens

ZenHens In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    We have a large black crow who lives in our yard. I'd stand out and watch it warily whenever we'd let the girls out of the run and into the fenced yard.

Then I started really observing it. I was nervous, because all six of our pullets are still fairly young. But he'd just sit there and watch them, maybe looking for leftover feed. Then another bird would land nearby and he'd swoop down and drive them off. He acted like a sentry for any critter that happened to come within 50 yards. At one point HE landed near our big pullet in charge and she ran him off quickly.

Our run is covered with a clear plastic roof and he likes to sit up there. He doesn't try to access the run. I really do think he's just adjusted to his job as guardian. We feed him our too-ripe or compromised tomatoes off the vine and he seems to appreciate it. He comes very close to us and I guess someone else must feed him. It's just nice to have somebody looking out for the chickens since our dog is too dumb.

I know birds can carry diseases, but he can't access the coop, run, or feed. He's a big guy. From a distance I can barely tell him apart from our Black Spanish eight week-olds.

2. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I love my crows, i feed them and they in turn keep the area free of hawks most of the time and they also harass things that are trespassing in my area so i fgo with my dogs to see whats going on, last time was last week and i found a Ferrel kitten up a tree in the middle of my woods, poor thing.
    I want a baby crow, someday i hope to find one lost that needs my help, they remind me so much of my cockatoo in the way they act and they are very smart.
    [​IMG]

3. Hamstery

Hamstery Songster

Feb 7, 2012
    New England
    [​IMG]
    He sounds like a cool bird. We have crows, but they never come close at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: