Watch dogs are a mixed blessing!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thebritt, Sep 9, 2009.

1. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    In the past, our queensland/beagle/pitt boy (neutered, of course) has been pretty defensive of our property - once someone crosses "the line" (comes thru the gate) WITH NO FAMILY MEMBERS present, he gets very defensive (well, actually, he's been known to bite - so far no skin broken - he's 11 yrs old). Should I be concerned? We live in an area where we have a few local "tweakers", and I feel he's been a great deterrant. However, he bit the pant leg of my daughter's boyfriend ((she's old enough to have one!) (granted, it was at 11pm @ night)).
    This dog has seriously prevented "undesirables" from coming into the yard.
    He does his job well.
    But I really don't want him to get into trouble for doing his job.
    Can he, if he's in his own yard? Do I need to keep him inside @ night/
    He's also really good at killing rats and skunks [​IMG] .
    I have a sign that says "Dogs in yard". I've heard that if the sign says anything about "Beware" , then you're liable. [​IMG]

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Common sense says if an owners' dog bites someone who is trespassing, it's the fault of the trespasser. Unfortunately, common sense is long dead. I would probably start keeping him in at night; better than getting sued.

3. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    where you from? i believe thats gonna have a lot more to do with an answer then anyother factor

4. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I live in a semi-rural part of Humboldt County, Ca.
    Our neighborhood has everyone from teachers and environmental engineers to meth-heads and drunks (which parade up and down the road at all hours).
    I really appreciate that this dog is so defensive - However, I don't like that anyone I know could be injured.
    There have been several incidents where this dog has prevented truly unsavory types from coming into our yard.

5. LupineLass

LupineLass Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Slowood
    I don't know about there, but here in Australia, you can have a Beware of dog sign but not one that says Guard Dog or anything like that without insurance.

Also people are meant to have free and safe access TO your front door from your pedestrian access point in your fence "gate".

My sign says "Dog makes the gate in 2.5seconds, How fast are you?"

6. anngili

anngili Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, you could always get some of those signs that say "I love my Pit Bulls" and hang them on the outside of your fence. If they were visible at night, it might help you keep your dog in and the undesirables out. Just have a quick way to let your dog out if he starts raising heck at night. You can then let him loose on trespassers if need be. His barking alone will probably be some deterrent, at least to those thinking about coming into the house.
    Maybe even a "hot wire" running along the top of the fence. That can sometimes make them believe that the dog can come over that fence after them and they'll want to look for an easier target then.

ETA: I really like the "My dog makes the gate in 2.5 seconds. How fast are you?" idea, too. I'm going to make something like that for my gate, too! The postman and delivery drivers will get a kick out of it; my dog loves them but will bark at most anyone else!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  7. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Quote:you said california, i would keep the leashed, pen, etc

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I would keep him leashed or in your house. (if you cant be right by his side)... Because any dog that has put his teeth aganist a human is a BIG liability...your daughters boyfriend isnt a tweaker, is he? And yet the dog still went after him...not a good sign!.. Thats the reason i will NEVER let my dogs be guard dogs...you'll be in a big mess if that dog gets confused and attacked the wrong person...((which he's already done..))
    please keep the dog safe...so he dosent have to suffer (be put down) or you get sued....
    Also..put a lock of some kind on your front entrance gate...so people cant just walk into your yard.. Good luck! [​IMG]

9. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Keep the dog in the house at night. He'll probably let you know from there if there is anything in the yard you need to worry about.

I was told by a personal injury lawyer that it is OK to have a sign that says: Warning - Dogs loose in yard.

What's a tweaker?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  10. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:I had started a thread a few weeks ago about that topic, and someone apparently responded inappropriately, so the mod shut it down. But just FYI, a tweaker is someone who uses methamphetamines (speed) and tends to be up and about all night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by