Watch out for Cedar Shavings!

nicandtroyintown

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Hello Fellow Chicken Enthusiasts. My SO and I have just become part of the club with our first {very small} batch of Leghorn chicks.

Our Raising Chickens book claimed that cedar shavings were fine to use as litter for our babies. Soon after getting them set up in a warm place with organic food, they began dying. One by one, they would shudder and convulse and pass. Sorry to be so graphic but I have to let everyone know that we think we lost ALL of them because we used CEDAR!

I've learned it is dangerous for all small animals although I've read conflicting stories on this.

Does anyone know anything else on this?

FYI- we have a new batch of Barred Rocks that have become pullets(sans Cedar) and are just fantastic!!
cool.png

The only time I use cedar is when I change out the shavings in my dogs houses. I put a layer of cedar then regular wood shavings. Cedar helps repel fleas. I never use cedar with my chickens or rabbits.

I think you will find out in here that Cedar is Evil and 95% would never use it, it is the oil in the cedar that makes your young ones have respitory failure. most of us just find better alternitives.
Sorry you lost the little ones, get more and join us, why buy a chicken raising book when you have us.

AL

In a well ventilated place, like a run, or with very very old aged cedar that you can't smell, often people get away with cedar. But in brooders, enclosed coops, or fresh shavings that may not be fully dried or really old, it can damage the linings of the lungs of small animals.

Sorry for your loss. I too do not use cedar as bedding. Some do put in a bit to repel bugs though.

One of my hobbies is woodworking. I work with all sorts of different species. When the sawdust/shavings are clean, Joe the birdman will take it by the truckload. He has several aviaries the size of my house. I have to keep the stuff clean for his birds as different types of wood can harm the birds.

Cedar. The aromatic resins are harmful.
Walnut. Allellopathic properties.
Cherry. I have no idea what the problem is but he can't use it.
Pressure treated. way too much crap in there.
previously stained/varnished/painted/treated is right out

He has no problem with pine, hickory, walnut, pecan, oak, or sweetgum.

Sorry for your loss. It's impossible to know all this stuff. Don't let it stop you.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

I'm so sorry you lost all your babies, what a horrible way to get started in such a wonderful hobby. I do hope you will not give up but will get rid of the cedar and get more babies.
smile.png

check with your local library they may have several books on raising chicken that can help you with the basic do's and don't. raising chickens (wow i can't believe they got that wrong ), chickens in your backyard, and keeping chicken, are great starter books
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for your support and wisdom! What a great group!

I appreciate your encouragement and no,we're not done-- there are pics to to come and we have some lovely Barred Rocks that are quite happy with good old hay. We're not working w/cedar anymore.

You guys rock..I'm grateful for all of you "peeps" out there!

frow.gif

Just to let you know. I mistakingly used cedar shavings, but I must have gotten lucky. I only lost one baby to the shavings and the other ones did OK. I used plastic storage containers that one would buy from Big Lots, Dollar General or Wally World.

There was PLENTY of ventillation and the chicks were in the house in the basement.

I use small animal pine shavings now. I do not even use the horse pine shavings except in the big chickens pens. I use straw also now.

Back
Top Bottom