Watch out with purina!!!!!

Jerry09

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 29, 2008
I feed my chicks start & grow from purina and its suppose to be medicated but my flock has recently fallen ill with coccidiosis ...this is the only feed my birds have available and there not free ranged so how they became sick is beyond my knowledge. My birds are all silkies so it was extreamly hard to diagnose it before it got serious...so here i am with 25 slauching birds giving them vitamins and antibiotics....just a word or caution thats all...and also is it possible for the birds to survive the cocci?...there at the popping blood point and i dont know if its too late...thank you and plezz help..

Sorry to hear your birds got sick. They do not get cocci from feed - it is a parasitic disease typically contracted from infected birds. In addition, antibiotics will do nothing to treat cocci. You need a coccidiostat like Amprol. Medicated feed does not guarantee you won't get cocci, however it is often useful to help reduce occysts. Are you certain this is what they have? Did you have a fecal test done? Here is more info on cocci in the link below..

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/disproto.htm

Jody

Start n Grow is not medicated.. I got it specifically because it didn't say it on the bag. ( I have ducks. ) Do they have a medicated and non medicated version?

There is both medicated and non-medicated Start and Grow
I fed the medicated to my first batch and will probably go back to it for my second batch due to ship on the 13th. Since there is a general feeling that my 26% game bird starter may be too rich in protein for chicks I'm going to pick up a 25# bag and about half way through start introducing the gamebird starter... Halfway or more depending on how quickly they go through the bag.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Ditto. Furthermore, even if feed is medicated, it is not a vaccine by any means. It is simply a thamine blocker that inhibits the replication of the cocci in the intestines. Too much in the soil/litter and the bids can still get sick. Medicated feeds only help build immunity, does not give it to them. Get amprol or sulmet asap to treat. It is NOT a bacterial infection. Birds can and do survive if treated quickly.

The medication they put in medicated feed is usually Amprollium, I don't know of any medicated chick starter that contains anything else. Cocci come in many strains and are quite prevalent in the natural environment, infected birds are not needed to introduce cocci to yours. Amprollium helps the chicks build a natural resistence to cocci, but does not make them immune to the effects of a cocci infection. I would get them birds on a sulfa drug asap. They will be ok if they aren't too far along with the cocci infection...Hope your birds get to feeling better soon....

I didnt mean to say that they received the cocci from the feed but since the feed i buy clearly says medicated on it, i assumed i didnt have to worry about cocci...yes i am possitive that its cocci...i am now feeding them the same feed which does contain amprolium or whatever...and i am giving them sulpha drugs in the water...my mom hasnt stoped crying since this morning when she is usually greeted by the silkies ( 15) as she opens there coop..this morning none came...all were dead....i hope my other chicks surive...well thanks everyone for the support...gotta couple of graves to dig so ...im off....
sad.png

Quote:
thanks for the page but i am certain it is cocci...when i was younger...i sw my friends entire flock get wiped out by it....unfortunatly i still wasnt knowledged enough to know that despite being fed medicated feed.....they would become ill...

Ps: i love purina....its a love hate relationship...

Back
Top Bottom