Watch your receipts when X-mas shopping!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by charmed one, Nov 23, 2009.

1. charmed one

charmed one Show Me State Gal

I got this email this morning and thought it was important enough to pass along to you! Be sure and look at your receipts when the cashier hands it to you!!

Here it is.......

CASH-BACK SCAM

I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of $40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the $40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it. I said NO! Taking the $40 would be a cash advance against my Discover & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of $20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be defective. Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the $40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My co worker went to Milford ,DE Wal-Mart last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK. My co worker called Wal-Mart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money.

She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in line.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards! This is NOT liited to Wal-Mart, although they are the largest retailer so they have the most incidents.

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
  3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Thanks for letting us know! Perfect for scammers!

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    This was posted just a month or so ago. This is not true....

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp

I agree people need to pay attention to reciepts, especially at this time of year, but this one just isn't true.

5. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    I always watch my recipts...cannot afford not to!

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    OK, Wal-Mart has this system:

On Discover card, you are given the option to receive $20, $40, $60 or $80. YOU must select it. Whether it be by a brush of your fingernail or your child hitting the button. They are NOT scamming and it is a common issue with Discover cards. That's why you press the "No" selection to tell the MACHINE that you do not want cash back. Why would you accuse the cashier? She is standing there doing her job, doing as the machine is prompting. She can no more control the debit/credit reader any better than you can, except that you have the option to say "No" to the cash. She cannot clear it out on her side.

This is a simple case of not paying attention when you are checking out.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh it figures.......not true [​IMG]

Oh well, check your receipts anyway in case you accidently press the wrong button or a sale item with full price.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by