Watchdog Chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by navychick, Oct 7, 2011.

1. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    I have noticed my girls chasing off small flocks of chickadee's which is quite amusing. Its as though they don't want to share their yard. Just now a doe and her two fawns came into our yard and the whole flock (who was moving into the coop/run to turn in for the night) ran out and over to them and put up a front. As the deer moved closer the chickies held their ground until the deer moved off.
    Is that normal?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I don't know how "normal" it is, but MY flock does the same thing.

I have a bantam Faverrolle rooster who absolutely hates squirrels, and he will chase them across the yard and stand guard at the base of the tree until the squirrel stops chittering angrily at him from the branch where it stopped climbing.

Another bantam rooster, a buff Brahma, has a daily chase session with a blue jay.

Several of my hens will chase sparrows which have landed near their treat area (where I always toss the chickens' treats).

3. Stephen518

Stephen518 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Riverview
    My girls have had a very funny boxing match with a squirrel and they always are chasing the doves in the yard and making them fly away. They are very protective of their yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by